Sunday, October 31, 2010

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - DOVE DESIGNS

by
DOVE DESIGNS
(CLICK on item's title above to learn more)

WELCOME, Jodi and her Etsy shop, DOVE DESIGNS.  When you pay a visit to DOVE DESIGNS, you will find a delightful array of handmade hairbows, clippies, korker bows (such as the one above) headbands and more.

First take a moment to read Jodi's interview below where she gives us a bit of an insight into how she got started creating her designs.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

After having my daughter, I quickly saw how a cute hairbow pulled an entire outfit together. Hair accessories can really make or break an outfit for a little girl. I started designing bows for her and soon I was getting requests from strangers.

Twisted Boutique Bow in Black and Pink

 
How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

In my area, bows are more popular than other hair accessories, such as flowers or headbands. My daughter has extremely curly hair and I wanted something that would stay in her hair.

 What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find seeing the finished product to be the most enjoyable part, especially seeing it in someone's hair! I love to see how my bows match different outfits for different girls.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?

I think I'd choose an apple to represent my bows. Apples come in several colors and flavors, just like the different bows I make. I think of my creations as fresh and tart, just like an apple!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

Another medium I'd choose would be sewing. I love to see custom outfits for children, especially smocking. The creative possibilities with colors and textures are endless. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible seamstress!

(CLICK on item's title above to learn more)

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

The message I'd like to convey is that every little girl can look cute. I try to make bows to represent a wide variety of tastes. Not every girl is a girly-girl in pink. Not every girl likes bling. I want to provide hair accessories that appeal to different personalities and tastes.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

I'm still new to Etsy, so I'm still learning what works there! But anyone interested in designing bows should do lots of research and try out different materials to see what appeals to them. And practice, practice, practice!

THANKS, Jodi, for sharing your thoughts and creations with all of us.  May your DOVE DESIGNS prove successful for you!

To see more of Jodi's creations, be sure to visit the links below.




1 comment:

Jodi said...

Thank You for featuring me!