Saturday, May 17, 2008

FEATURED ARTIST - ALEX WHATTON

Welcome, Alex Whatton, and hear what Alex has to say about herself and her art. I always enjoy hearing in their own words, what each artist has to say about their art, what they enjoy in life, and/or how they got started creating. Introduce yourself, Alex...

I am a 23-year-old UConn graduate with a bachelor's of art degree in Psychology (concentration: ethology) and a creative and administrative background. I grew-up in Connecticut and I am currently making the move to Northern New Jersey with my husband. I love spontaneity, creating, kayaking, dancing, writing, hiking, capoeira, singing, being green, volunteering with animals, working with my hands, planning, crafting, cycling, playing violin and guitar, and organizing!

What led you to start creating your art?

My mother opened her own art school through our town when I was growing-up. I didn't have day care, I had art classes. Throughout the years I have taken classes in many different mediums and under many different instructors and I have never figured out which one is my favorite. All I know is that I love to create and I love LOTS of color!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I still haven't really decided, but I suppose I use markers because of their immediacy and permanancy...and definitely because of their portability. I love acrylics because they dry so quickly that I sort of view it as a challenge.

What aspect of creating your art do you find the most enjoyable?

Putting my energy, that I am feeling at that moment on to the paper. I love feeling emotion when I look at art and that is what I strive to do with my own.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art?

Be yourself...really, that's it. You can't get by, living your life as someone else.

What advice do you have for other artists?

Don't be afraid of your art. Be proud of what you do and put a little bit of yourself (or all of yourself) into each piece. If you are proud of your work - other people will feel it. It will make them want to be a part of it, too...or at least to buy it and hang it on their walls!

Alex, thanks for sharing your thoughts and art with everyone! Be sure to visit Alex's Etsy shop to see more of her colorful work! You can also visit Alex's blog by clicking on the link below.

ALEX'S BLOG


No comments: