Friday, September 18, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CAT'S CREATIONS



Spirit of the Sea brooch pin

by

CAT'S CREATIONS

WELCOME, Cat and her Etsy shop CAT'S CREATIONS!  Cat is a jewelry artist from the United Kingdom, and designs and creates some lovely jewelry, so be sure to pay a visit to her shop.  I love the "Spirit of the Sea" brooch above, and how Cat incorporates different, unique findings into her jewelry.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I have always loved making things, for as long as I can remember I've made cards for my family and friends, painted on pebbles from the beach and pressed flowers to make pictures from. I started making jewellery after realising how many beautiful beads there are in the world! I began by making presents for friends who seemed pleased with the results so I thought I'd try taking it a step further and selling some of my creations.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I'm a bit of a magpie and just love small shiny things! Jewellery is perfect for me because I like to see results fairly quickly. It means I can spend a long time playing with different colours and designs, but when I am happy with the look of a piece, I can assemble it in a short time and then start on the next!


I've become more interested in using found objects in my work. I don't like the amount of waste we produce as a species, so if I can re-use something that might otherwise get thrown away it makes me happy. This has led to the incorporation of more bits of vintage broken jewellery or findings, and more organic finds such as beach glass in my work than I have previously used.


Butterflly Spirit Earrings by CAT'S CREATIONS


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love the process of designing a new piece. Trying out different beads and colours and incorporating surprising elements is very enjoyable to me because it lets me play constantly! I also love to see the finished result making someone happy. That is the purpose of my jewellery after all.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Wild Blackberries. Because they are a lovely rich colour, a funky bobbly shape and you get a lot of oomph in a little package! And there is always something special and exciting about finding the first ripe blackberries of the year...

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

It would have to be mixed media collage. This is something I have always loved and been fascinated by. There are so many talented collage artists out there that I am constantly inspired by. There is no right or wrong way to create which I find very freeing so I enjoy making small pieces for myself and my family.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Have fun! Express yourself and get as much out of life as you can. And be creative in your recycling!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love and don't let anyone try to stop you. And never be put off by thoughts that what you do isn't "good enough" or that people won't like your work. This really is easier said than done, but the rewards for getting out there and creating something completely of your own are worth it!

Thanks, Cat, for giving us a peek into what makes you tick as a jewelry artist and for sharing your lovely creations with us.  Great interview.
 
To learn more about Cat and her work, be sure to visit her links below.

No comments: