Monday, August 4, 2008

FEATIRED ETSY SHOP - SEW BETTIE


The SEW BETTIE shop out on Etsy is run by Mark Cesarik and Cara Angelotta, who are the designers, writers, crafters, shippers, and business managers behind SEW BETTIE. Mark is a graduate of the Art Institute of Chicago. He is a practicing oil painter and multi-faceted designer. Cara went to Swarthmore College where she studied history. She also studied fine arts at Studio Art Centers International in Florence, Italy. Now she is a medical student at Northwestern University. To stay sane, Cara makes stuff (lots and lots of stuff). Read below to hear what Cara has to say about the work that is being offered by SEW BETTIE. Below is a photo of the dog BETTIE, who inspired the name given to Mark and Cara's SEW BETTIE shop.


BETTIE

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I have always been a maker. I can't remember a time when I didn't make stuff. I've done everything from oil painting to weaving to jewelry making.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

The Sew Bettie product line is a combination of my love for sewing and Mark's (my partner) graphic design skills. I started sewing again a few years ago and found traditional sewing patterns really hard to follow. We started making our tutorials so that we could include color photos of each step. My sewing craze led Mark to create fabric because I was so tired of spending so much time creating unique creations just to see the same exact fabric everywhere. Our fabric designs are printed in limited editions of 100 yards.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Every aspect! One favorite part is brainstorming an idea for a pattern, and then working to make the idea a reality. I also just love the actual sewing process. It is so relaxing. I get lost in the process.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmmm ... I would have to pick a pineapple because pineapples are delicious, happy, and bright.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

It is really important to price your work so that you actually make a profit from it. Otherwise, you won't enjoy selling your work. I write about business topics on my blog "Craft Yourself Rich". http://craftyourselfrich.blogspot.com/


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I've always wanted to learn to blow glass.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


Mark and I hope that Sew Bettie inspires creativity in other people. We hope that people are able to use our products to make things they will always treasure and love.

THANKS, CARA for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us. Be sure to check out SEW BETTIE to see what products Mark and Cara have to offer, which might just inspire the "creative streak" in you!

CRAFT YOURSELF RICH BLOG


FLICKR

1 comment:

Sew Bettie said...

Thanks so much for interviewing me!