Friday, August 22, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - FANTASY CREATIONS 1



I can certainly understand why Becky of FANTASY CREATIONS 1 said it was very hard to choose a favorite piece to have out here on her feature!! FANTASY CREATIONS 1 has absolutely gorgeous jewelry creations in her shop, so be sure to pay it a visit! I thought this necklace was particularly "striking", so I have also included a photo showing the entire necklace. Welcome, Becky, as she shares a bit of her thoughts and ideas about herself and her creations.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I NEED to create things, so my mind never stops thinking of interesting new ideas. I actually do several crafts, but I'll only talk about two here. I design stuffed animals based on photographs of real animals or fantasy animals I visualize in my mind. I began designing them when a friend of my mother gave me some scraps of fake fur. My first designs were little toy mice and bunnies. Next I designed a tiny horse. I also create unusual bead embroidered jewelry. I have always loved to sew and I bought a video tape that taught me basic bead embroidery and peyote stitch. I learned more advanced techniques by experimenting and reading craft books and magazines.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Pretty shiny things attract me, and I'm addicted to collecting and designing with beautiful beads. I work with a polymer clay or stone cabachon. I really like creating a unique piece with symbolic power.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I enjoy all aspects of creating bead embroidered jewelry. My favorite part is letting the design evolve and feeling like I am "in the zone" creatively. Selecting the right beads and the right look for the piece is done intuitively. I read a Psychology Today magazine article around 1980 that said non-creative people could achieve alpha brain waves through meditation, but when trying to be creative their brainwaves were in Beta. Creative people were just the opposite. Their brains went into alpha waves when they were creating and they experienced meditation as stressful. I support their findings. The more creative I am the more time seems to stop and the more deeply relaxed I become.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

If I had to choose one more art form?... I would like to design picture/landscape art quilts based on photographs I've taken or images in my mind. I have several books about them and I bought interesting scraps of fabric. I'm actually working on a fabric book (not to sell) that honors the TV show (1988) Beauty and the Beast. It was the most amazing show full of longing, romance, poetry, and incredibly beautiful classical music.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

My message would be "Love." Love others, love yourself, love God, love life, love living things, love this beautiful world.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Advice? Find the thing that you enjoy doing so much that you can forget to eat and sleep. Follow your bliss. Become really good at it. Price your work with respect for your time and skills. Treat your customers really well. Ship quickly. Don't expect to make much money from it.


Becky, thanks again for taking the time to share your wonderful jewelry and your thoughts with us! Treat yourself to some really "eye catching" jewelry by visiting FANTASY CREATIONS 1. If you have any questions, I am sure Becky would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Becky must be one busy lady, as she also has two other shops on Etsy, and also a store on Ebay, so you just might want to pay a visit to those links below. One shop sells: Commercial Craft Supplies: Fabric Books DVDs & Patterns, and the other shop sells patterns for very delightful stuffed animals.






No comments: