Tuesday, August 19, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - THAT IS SO CUTE

WELCOME, Harriet and her THAT IS SO CUTE shop out on Etsy! Here is an explanation of how Harriet chose her name for her shop.

I came up with my store name because I knew I wanted to incorporate that phrase my sisters and I always use when we shop together: "That's so cute!" But in my store C.U.T.E. is an acronym that stands for: .....C = Creative..........U = Unique..........T = Trendy..........E = Enticing.....


Read below to learn more about Harriet, and find out what she has to say about how she got started in making her delightful creations! Don't forget to visit "THAT IS SO CUTE", when you have finished. You can click on any photo to go directly to that item in her shop, or click on the THATSSOCUTE link below the photos!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I learned knitting as a young girl through the 4-H program. I think what really peaked my interest at that young age was knitting a complicated sweater with lots of cables, and fancy stitches, including popcorn stitches. We entered that sweater at a local fair and I won a special ribbon for it! I was hooked! Mom tried to teach me sewing, but I was terrible. I'm not sure if that's because I'm left handed and we didn't have any lefty scissors, but I couldn't even cut a straight line! So, I stuck with knitting. Learned crochet later but I prefer knitting.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I haven't really decided yet! I love trying new things. About 7 years ago, one of my friends started taking "paint class" from a previous teacher of hers. I loved the work she was doing so I joined as well. We meet once a week from September through May. Our teacher is so creative, we never know what she'll be trying next: acrylics...glass paint...pastels...watercolors...fabric paint....etc. Plus, you never know what she'll be painting on next! It might be old cupboard doors, a vinyle purse, dollar store mugs, or anything that is paintable. It's so inspiring to see what she tries! It has made me look at ordinary items in a whole new way...as in "what could this become?". I love looking through magazines and finding inspiration. I've recently started beading. I'm almost ready to start playing around with polymer clay...that sounds so fun!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I enjoy just thinking about trying new things. I see something in a magazine or online and immediately think...how can I change this up? Everything can be new and different. While I may make a dozen of something, each is unique.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I actually think I would describe my art/craft as an onion. The onion (while not something one usually eats by itself) is something a chef will use in combination with many other things to create a feast. Just as I hope I use my talents to create a feast for my customers.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I think that if I could no longer create with my knitting needles, paint brushes, and other craft tools, I would love to use the written medium to display my creativity...I've always wanted to be a writer!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Allow yourself to try new things...even if this means you may fail. Tis better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Keep learning new things! Read that article...take a class...take a chance...

Harriet, thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and your work. I have a feeling you will never run out of new mediums to try and new creative ideas!! You can also find out more about THATS SO CUTE by visiting Harriet's blog and Flickr.

BLOG

FLICKR


No comments: