Wednesday, August 20, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - EISSA

I am always delighted to see all the creative jewelry artists out on Etsy, and Mary Ann is right in there with them!! What a charming necklace, which she says is a part of her "Chandelier" series of necklaces. Very magical! To see what other great pieces Mary Ann has in her shop, and to read how she designed the above necklace, be sure to visit EISSA, but first let's learn a little about how Mary Ann got started with her jewelry.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
I've always been involved in creative endeavors, but came to jewelry design 4 years ago when I moved to Los Angeles from New York. My Mother suffers from Alzheimer's disease and my brother and I decided we wanted to take care of her at our family home in Los Angeles. I packed up my "life", my dog and 2 cats, left New York to start our new life. Because caring for my Mom prevented me from having a full-time job, I started making jewelry from my home. Both decisions have enhanced my life immeasurably.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I tend to wear black most of the time and loved to accessorize with interesting, artistic pieces. When the opportunity presented, I decided to design jewelry that reflected what I would buy for myself.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
Not having a set plan when I start a piece, but to become inspired by the material and letting the piece evolve . I like the freedom to create different styles and not being confined to one particular look.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
Organic European Salad Mix because it’s not boring. Instead there are many different colors, textures and sophisticated flavors and yet there is cohesiveness when you see all the greens mixed together.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
I’ve also created mixed media decorative boxes. I love working with different materials, textures, and techniques.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
That I create from my heart and my work brings me much joy. It is an extension of my personality, (always looking for something new and interesting to challenge me).

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
To maintain joy in the process even on the days when you’re not inspired.

MARY ANN...thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful jewelry, and your thoughts with us. May you always be inspired to keep creating! Now....be sure to visit Mary Ann's EISSA shop out on Etsy by clicking on either the photos below to go directly to that creation, or to click on the EISSA link below the photos.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com