Wednesday, August 6, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - ANGELIC GEMS BY ANGEL

GYE NYAME BRACELET

You really must visit Angel's ANGELIC GEMS jewelry shop out on Etsy. I love the colors and unique designs she comes up with. Be sure to check out ANGELIC GEMS, after you have learned a little more about this artist by reading what she has to say below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've always been a bit of an artist. I started at a very young age with drawing, then music, then writing and then I added sewing and jewelry making for fun. I never expected to be pursing a dream to become a jewelry artisan, but the past two years have taught me that is the only talent of mine that I love so much that I want to support myself with it.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I tried beading before I turned to wire, but I just couldn't get it. I give credit to all the beaders out there as I can't tie a secure knot to save my life and clamping is near impossible. When I bought my first book on wirewrapping, and then made my first necklace (a green one that is for sale in my shop), I knew I had found a winner. Now, I can't make a piece without wrapping.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

That depends actually. On normal days, my favorite thing is simply twisting and braiding wire. On bad, frustrating, tear my hair out days, I really enjoy hammering full hard bronze wire or steel.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would choose a pomegranate to describe my art. That is because a piece may look simple at first glance, but the tiny details--the seeds--are what makes them special.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Probably paint. That is because I love to play with color and painting is something I know I can use to sooth me after a hard day, but then I wouldn't get to use a hammer.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to show that I can think so far out of the box that people will forget that the box ever existed. I was asked once what my style was and I came up with the words "elegantly funky" because my designs are as elegant, ethnic, hip and thoroughly eclectic as I am.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

My only advise would be to create to your heart's content, never give up, never compromise, and love every moment of it. Love it, baby.

ANGEL, thanks for a great interview....LOVE YOUR WORK! Don't forget now....visit ANGELIC GEMS to see Angel's unique, beautiful jewelry! Also, you can visit her blog to learn more about Angel.







ANGEL'S BLOG

No comments: