Tuesday, August 5, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CRANBERRIES AND CHEESE

Kate of Cranberries and Cheese said that right now this was her "favorite" item in her Esty shop. I like really like how Kate captured the lighting in this scene. Once you visit CRANBERRIES AND CHEESE, you will see that Kate has a flair for capturing everyday scenes and making them stand out! She is also into more than one type of medium, so be sure to visit her shop, and see what makes Kate "tick" as an artist. Here, Kate will share some of her thoughts and ideas with us.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
I have been crafting forever. I remember sneaking away with hot pink glue into my room trying to make a bunny rabbit finger puppet out of felt when I was about seven. I am fascinated by things a person can do by manipulating a medium with their hands. It gives off such a feeling of relief to work on something and get into that "art zone".

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I learned to knit about five years ago, and finally figured out crochet about a year or so ago. There's something amazing about something starting out as yarn or string and ending up a hat, an animal, a scarf. As far as photography, my father is a photographer, and started teaching me when I was probably about six or seven, though I took my first photo at age two. (I was in disney world and took a picture of my parents sqatting on the ground, all you can see is up to their hips!) As far as clay or any other media, I decided to minor in art for college and really enjoyed everything I worked with. I hope, once I move on my own, to put together more of my own creations.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I love the end product, of course, but there's a certain zone I get into when I'm working, where I lose all sense of time and I get lost in thought and the project. The first time I threw a pot on the wheel there was a cd in the background. An hour later the CD had played out, and I hadn't even noticed the music stopped! Creating gives me a release, and also allows me to think about things while keeping my hands busy, a must!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
I will resist the urge to say cranberries simply because it is my company name! What pops into my mind is strawberries. They taste tart or sweet depending on the season and how you prepare them. Also, they are versatile! They can be used in a variety of dishes! I hope that my art is eclectic while still looking like it was made by me. You can have a strawberry smoothie and strawberry chicken and still know it involved strawberries somewhere.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
I don't like to limit myself to any one medium. There are so many things I love to work with (and hope to work with in the future), because there are so many ways people can express themselves. Besides, I don't have the wrists to just crochet! Eventually I would love to have a kiln and a centrifugal casting machine to do some casting and some ceramics, plus I would love to work with glass. Also I still love drawing and collage, and hope when I have my own place (and my own space!) to be able to devote a spot to my easel.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
I try to have a bit of whimsy in all my pieces. It's hard to explain, but my pieces tend to fall into three overlapping categories: serious and thought provoking, mystical and magical, and hilarity. I put a lot of importance on facial expressions if there is a face in my art (in fact there is a piece I am dying to start but need to figure out the right expression first!).

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Try to have meaning in your work. If you make something that evokes in you something you cannot describe with words, you have truly expressed yourself! Don't be intimidated if someone asks you what you mean and you are not sure how to answer. Also, in your art, if you want to be humorous, make sure that you're funny! If you want to be serious, avoid the compulsion to be too trite.

THANKS for sharing Kate!! I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts and ideas. I'm sure you will never run out of things to create and interest you!




KATE'S BLOG

FLICKR

2 comments:

skatej said...

thank you! This was wonderful!

Belinha Fernandes said...

Once again, great selection form etsy and Flockr!