Wednesday, August 13, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - ALISON KELLEY DESIGNS


WELCOME, Alison of ALISON KELLEY DESIGNS!! If you love unique, beautiful jewelry, be sure to visit ALISON KELLEY DESIGNS on Etsy! I'm happy to have Alison out here as a featured artist on DZFANTASY! Below, Alison will share a bit of herself, and her thoughts on what makes her "tick" as a person and a jewelry artist.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?
I have been making jewelry for over 16 years. It wasn't until my mom inspired me to make a necklace for her in the summer of 2006 that got me motivated and excited about making jewelry again. It had been a while since I had made something for myself too, so I made a necklace for my mom as well as an identical one for myself. I was so happy making it, and with the results that I just couldn't stop myself from making more. Before I knew it I had friends coming over to look at my new jewelry designs, so after their overwhelming feedback this ‘hobby’ soon became Alison Kelley Designs and a full-time business.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I've always loved beads and it was natural for me to go back to making jewelry with them. My favorite materials are Sterling Silver, Copper, Gemstone Beads, Pearls, Swarovski Crystals, Natural Beads, Shell Beads and Glass Beads.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
Jewelry making is truly my passion. I enjoy every aspect of it. Getting an idea in my mind, sometimes even in my dreams. I imagine the piece already made. and then going through the process of putting my design together step by step is invigorating. Once my creation is complete I can't help but be so proud. Maybe I have that artistic need to create and in creating something it brings me happiness.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
I would choose "fruit". Not only do I love fruit, but all their color variety. Color is very important to me. It makes me feel alive and happy. Without color I would be drained of life and happiness.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?
Painting! I used to paint a long time ago, it was relaxing and satisfying.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
My goal is to offer beautiful handcrafted pieces of jewelry that are as unique as they are beautiful. Handmade is a forgotten art to many, showing the importance of it is an endless journey. I myself lost that for a while. After having three children and living in such a busy world, it is easy to forget the beauty of making something yourself or cherishing another person's creations.
What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Be true to yourself and your art. Don't let the busy world crush your creativity. Flourish it and expand it by continuously learning your art.
THANKS, Alison, for taking the time to share your thoughts and your work with all of us! I enjoyed getting to know a bit about you and how you feel about your chosen form of creativity. Keep on creating!! Below you will links to Alison's Etsy shop and other place where you can view her work. If you are looking for beautiful "bridal" jewelry, be sure to click on Alison's BRIDAL JEWELRY link below.



ALISON'S BLOG

FLICKR

ALISON KELLEY DESIGNS BRIDAL JEWELRY

No comments: