Thursday, August 7, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - Cynthia V. H. Ehrlich

This is Cynthia's "favorite" item in her Etsy shop, and I can see why! These berries look luscious!! Cynthia's shop has not only beautiful paintings, but also lovely jewelry. I'm happy to have Cynthia as a "featured" artist out here on DZFANTASY, and appreciate her taking the time to share her thoughts and work with us. Learn more about Cynthia and her work by reading her interview below....then, of course, be sure to visit her shop!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

For the past 20 years I have been creating art. Doing a little illustration, creating huge and not so huge watercolor paintings, always photography, now a jewelry artist and painting in acrylic & oils. I am a self taught artist but won many awards for my watercolors the first year I started painting sooo.. I took that as a sign and gave up my computer consulting business to become a full time artist and never looked back. Earlier in my life I didn't accept the idea that I was an artist in spite of all the signs I was showing through out my life. But when My daughter was in High School I took a beginning watercolor class at the urging of others and the rest is history. My wish is to make people happy with my art and notice the beauty around us.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Watercolor was kind of chosen for me by, being the first medium I worked with. I do love dancing with watercolor as it has a mind of its own. If we just trust it to flow freely and not try to control its movements, your painting will be far more beautiful than anything you could ever imagine and the colors are sooo pure, beautiful and transparent they make you feel happy. Life is like that too.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Applying the watercolor. Letting it run. When creating my necklaces I enjoy putting all the elements together to create a design to enhance the gorgeous handmade Venetian Murano beads that are the focus of my necklaces.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?

For my paintings I would choose a fruit, a ripe glorious peach, because my paintings are sweet,juicy, beautiful and make you feel good. For my jewelry I would choose another fruit, sweet cherries, because they are exquisite to look at, rare to find and make you salivate when looking at them.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

Acrylics are another medium I truly love as they are very versatile. You can make them look like watercolor, oils or even acrylics. They are eco friendly (water based, don't smell, can be throw out in the trash no problem). The colors are wonderful and you can modify their texture with sand, gels & on & on. I am currently beginning to get familiar with acrylics & you will see more of my paintings in my shop. One is there now "Sunrise on Long Sought For Pond"

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want my art viewers and jewelry wearers to feel joyful, happy, hopeful and to love the feeling of having the beauty of our world brought close to them to notice and love too.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Trust your creativity. It is good. Read "How to Avoid Making Art" by Julia Cameronauthor of "The Artist's Way". You will find all your excuses not to create so you can get going again and trust yourself.

Great interview, Cynthia! Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and work with us. You can visit Cynthia's Etsy shop by clicking on any of the photos below to go directly to that item, or click on the link below the photos to see all the items in her shop. Cythnia also has a web site link below where you can view some of her larger paintings.




ROSE BUD COTTAGE (web page)

DWANDA

FLICKR



No comments: