Monday, August 25, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MELINDAMILKSHAKE


MS SECRET FACE by MELINDAMILKSHAKE

If you are looking for some unique characters and vintage clothing, you'll be sure to find them out on MELINDAMILKSHAKE Etsy shop. Here is a little info about "MS SECRET FACE" provided by her creator, Melinda.

Ms. Secret Face is a plushy handmade doll. She is meant to be a decorative doll for adults. Ms. Secret Face is about 12 inches long and nine inches wide (across her arms). She would make a great gift! Like all my other dolls, she has been hand sewn and crafted with unique detail and wonderful, eye-catching materials. She has been carefully put together and all of her fantastic parts are securely fastened. Ms. Secret Face has a particularly interesting personality and she is quite popular! However, Ms. Secret face is in the witness protection program, therefore I can not offer any information about her history. I can say she is very intelligent and somewhat mischievous (after all, there is a reason she is in the witness protection program!). She is looking for new friends and would be a great addition to any household. She can't wait to meet you!


WELCOME, Melinda of MELINDAMILKSHAKE, and hear what she has to say about herself and her work.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?


Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated with fashion and vintage items. I have been collecting, trading and hunting for unique clothing for quite a lot of years. As old clothes go, they often need repair, so I taught myself to sew out of necessity. Currently I've been inspired to make my dreams a reality and take the clothing to the next level. I have been working on revamping vintage finds and also expanding my skills to create my own clothing. Those sketches from junior high won't go to waist after all! As far as the dolls go, they are from a more spontaneous creative force, and they do have a force of their own. One day last winter I watched a movie called 'Blood Tea'. In that movie some mice made a doll of a woman. Something about the rustic way in which they made their stitches was very alluring to me. I sat down and made my first doll in 15 minutes and I haven't stopped since. Although my dolls are really quite different from the one in the movie, I do have to credit the movie for lending me a new creative itch.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I don't recall ever making a conscious decision to work with fabric, to sew, etc. Since I was a little girl, I have been drawn to these sort of things, so I guess you could say that I followed my instinct.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


Sewing by hand is incredibly enjoyable for me. It allows me to sit in a quiet place and do nothing except focus on each stitch. I see it as a Zen sort of meditation. It helps me to relax and be in the moment, and teaches me to focus on one thing at a time.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?


I would choose a strawberry to represent my craft, because they are vibrantly red, with just enough contrasting green, and also because I like the texture of strawberries. Fabric the texture of a strawberry would rock!


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity" what would that be, and why?


Two other facets of creativity that I have always been intersted in are watercolor painting and music. I have painted and played the drums since I was a child. With painting I feel that I am able to really explore my fascination with color, and with music I feel that I am able to translate pure energy into something that speaks to people. I also love painting because it is so myriad, you can't sew an abstract object the way you can paint an abstract picture. I also love drumming and music for its abstract qualities; with music you can communicate pure emotion to people, you can communicate all of those fleeting and surreal things that can only be felt, and cannot be said.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


I would like to encourage people to go with their gut instincts. It seems that so often people are reserved, there are things they would like to do, say, create, wear, etc......and they don't do these things for whatever reason. I hope that the items I create emit a sense of joy and appreciation for life. I want to make people laugh, smile, and think about what sort of fun they can have in their every day life. This is why my items have a child-like quality to them. People sometimes keep the best parts of themselves hidden away. My creations are an expression of the best parts of myself, and I want to share that with others. This is about a balance between listening to who you really are and doing those things that you itch to do, but at the same time not taking yourself too seriously.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Try not to pay atention to trends and big selling items, do what you feel drawn to do, don't force anything.


MELI NDA, thanks for the delightful interview. It was fun and interesting to learn about you and your work! Great answers! Be sure to stop in to see what else MELINDAMILKSHAKE has to offer. You can also learn more about Melinda by visiting her IndiePublic and Flickr sites listed below.









FLICKR


INDIE PUBLIC

No comments: