Friday, August 29, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - Pretty Little Love Objects by Blinking Mouse

Let's welcome PRETTY LITTLE LOVE OBJECTS by the Blinking Mouse, and hear what led this delightful artist to start designing her fun, colorful jewelry.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
When I was young, I was a greeb, kind of a UK cross between what is now emo and a goth. Many, many, many plastic beaded stretch bracelets were the order of the day, and I used to make a lot of them myself. Eventually I stopped dressing in a way that reflected my musical tribe, but I was hooked on making bracelets and jewellery in general. I made a button necklace for my friends birthday, used some of the craft kits people had given me as presents, and became the unstoppable crafting machine I am today.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I’m really passionate about jewellery, I still love to buy it even though I make my own, and I could sift through all the jewellery in shops like Accessorise and Topshop for hours (but people tend to drag me away). I just love sparkly, glossy, colourful accessories, beads are what my paradise would be made of. Jewellery making is also really easy to get into. You don’t need that much special equipment to start out with, not like working in clay, lampworking or sewing, you can just concentrate on buying pretty materials. I’m kind of impatient when it comes to having the right things to begin with, so I think jewellery making satisfied that need to get going straight away.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
Picking colour schemes is so much fun, you can be so inventive and match colours you don’t often see together on the high street. Of course searching down the best materials is really fun (but bad for my bank balance) I’m constantly distracted on Etsy because I’m like a magpie with an obsession for bright and shiny things.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
Toughie can I have two choices? OK...I think we'll let you have two choices!! I would pick a red apple because I just got the most gorgeous Swarovski bracelet given to me and it features a crystal apple. For me Swarovski is really the pinnacle of excellence in classy, grown up jewellery. If I could have a second choice (please) I’d describe my craft as a carrot because it’s a quirky choice and I love my pieces to have a personality. I also love to include unusual materials, like buttons and plastic stars, that people might think only belong in children’s jewellery. I use these items to create Pretty Little Love Objects that any grown up would love to wear to express their individuality. Love your 2 choices...Jodie!!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
I’d love to be a writer. I dream about it constantly, stop and start, and then return to reading to try to educate myself on how to get better.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
I really want people to start shopping properly. Shopping should not be a chore that you do quickly, buying dull gifts in a slapdash manner. You should enjoy picking out the perfect thing as a present for you or a loved one. If you put a little effort into finding a personal present you will get much more appreciation back, and that little cycle of events will increase the loveliness of the world. What a lovely thought!! So true!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Try to get some sleep, at some point. It’s easy to get stuck promoting online for hours when you should be recharging your creative batteries. Pick promotional opportunities that are simple and effective so you have plenty of time to give to crafting and having a life.

THANKS, Jodie for a delightful insight into you as a person, and what motivates you to create your fun, colorful jewelry! I really enjoyed having you as a featured artist out here on DZFANTASY, and wish you every success in all your endeavors! Be sure to visit PRETTLY LITTLE LOVE OBJECTS on Etsy....you just could find the right piece of jewelry that could brighten your day!



BLOG

JUST BE CONNECTED A HOME FOR CREATIVE BLOGGERS

No comments: