Tuesday, August 26, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - MADELINE CAREY - PAPER MACHE BOWLS

I just love all the vivid colors in this artist's work!! Let's hear what Madeline has to say about her work and how she got started making these delightful paper mache' creations.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
Well, my father, Craig Carey, http://www.careyart.com/, has been living off of his art for over 35 years, and I just sort of grew up with the idea of 'making things = your job'. I ran the booth at art shows for him and he taught me to paint and to do simple assembly. Eventually I wanted to start contributing more to the business.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I had to find something to do that I couldn't hurt myself with. I'm fairly easily distracted so my father didn't think it was a good idea for me to work with saws or drills, and I'm still a bit afraid of hot things... Anyway, paper mache is neither sharp or hot so it seemed like a safe bet.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

It's all enjoyable. I mean, it's work, but it's also squishy, and I get to paint things in bright colors.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I have no idea. I must not be that creative. Maybe Dragonfruit... because it's colorful and different.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'd like to try casting jewelry... rings specifically. I've got the equipment, but haven't invested the money in any gold and silver yet. I just don't think that there are enough people casting their own designs anymore.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

No messages here. Just colorful home decor.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you're good at, don't use other people's ideas, and always make sure to pay yourself a decent wage.

Thanks, Madeline for taking the time to share your thoughts and colorful creations with us! If you'd like to see more of Madeline's colorful, whimsical work, be sure to visit her Etsy shop by clicking on either the photos or the shop link below the photos. Madeline also has a blog you might want to visit. The link is below. I always like to get a better insight into the artist behind the creations...!

MADELINE'S BLOG



No comments: