Tuesday, August 12, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - Debbie Ritter @ Uneek Doll Designs

The Bennet Sisters of Pride and Prejudice



Welcome Debbie of Uneek Doll Designs! This creative artist creates wonderful character dolls ranging from historical figures such as Jane Austin, General George and Martha Washington, Anne of England to Mr. & Mrs. Claus. Be sure to visit UNEEK DOLL DESIGNS to see who else might be there. Read below to get a bit of "insight" into Debbie and her doll characters.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started making my characters several years ago when my husband made several dollhouses as a gift for my mother. I wasn't happy until I could add some people to the houses. Not finding what I wanted, I decided to figure out how to make my own specific characters- I guess I just got carried away!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I did some research, trying to figure out a simpler way to get what I wanted. I couldn't really find any detailed instructions anywhere, so I began figuring out my own methods and materials to use. I have never been one to like using a pattern anyway, so it's just as well that I do things free hand...(smile)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I think since I read a lot, and history and classics are my favorites, I enjoy taking characters from what I read and translating them into the art work I do. It is a challenge and a reward to see the end results.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
That sure is an interesting question! Hmmm,I guess I would have to say fruit cocktail, since everything I do is an eclectic mix...a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Or maybe mixed vegetables! I get tired of doing things the same way, so I am always changing. and adding.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
I think I would like to paint the scenes from my favorite stories and passages from history. That would be very enjoyable for me because I could have a new way to enjoy what I like doing the most. Painting is something I dabble in, but haven't really sat down and made myself do it for any length of time.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
I think the message with my particular craft is to enjoy learning and reading. I have increased my knowledge of history greatly just by doing my art. I have also learned how to challenge myself and try something new. Since my art work requires some reading of literature and history, I have learned things without even finding it an effort. That has been very enjoyable for me!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

A.) If you are going to sell what you make, don't expect instant success...it doesn't happen unless Martha Stewart asks you to be on her show...(smile)

B.)Don't just look for something to make, look to do something you truly enjoy and that isn't a chore to do. You get tired of it real quickly if the only reason you do it is to make a few dollars.

C.) Never stop looking for ways to improve.

D.) Mind your manners at all times, with customers and fellow crafters/artisans. A polite word, kindness, and good business ethics are a must have in any situation.

Debbie thanks so much for sharing your delightful "characters", and very good advice with us. Be sure to visit Debbie and her "character dolls" at UNEEK DOLL DESIGNS...you just never know who you might see out there.



FLICKR

1 comment:

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Thanks for the kind feature!