Monday, August 18, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MIXOLOGY MAKEUP - The Healthy Makeup Alternative


WELCOME, Rae of MIXOLOGY MAKEUP. Read in Rae's own words how she got started creating her own line of makeup, and be sure to visit her MIXOLOGY MAKEUP shop out on Etsy. I'm sure Rae would be delighted to answer any questions you may have!


What led you to start creating your art/craft?
A few things - I have always wanted to do my own makeup line so a few years back I looked into what it would take to do it and discovered that having a company make it and package it is very expensive and what I would have to sell it for, I wouldn't even buy. So began the research and the learning process of making mineral makeup and Mixology was born! I was also having problems with my skin breaking out so I tried wearing foundations to cover it up and I would break out more cause I am super sensitive! So these two things really motivated me to learn more!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I needed a creative outlet to compensate for my desk job at the time and this filled the void and took on a life of its own, and brought me to this place today! Makeup has always been a live form of art for me too when appling it on people, and making it just was a natural extension of that too.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
Oh the eye shadows are my favorite! I love colors and inventing shades - lol, I have over 50 some odd eye shadows and more that are not listed!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
Hmmmmm..... I would choose a starfruit! 1 - its a cool name, like Mixology ;) 2- they are kinda rough on the outside but once you open them up and taste the fruit it's all sweet, kinda like moi!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
Acting - its what started me in this love of makeup, I always had to do my own for shows/film, and then eventually for everyone else. Acting really gave me confidence and brought me out of the shy shell I was in.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
Beauty does not have to be painful! Or harmful for that matter... I strive to make quality makeup at affordable prices that is free of harmful junk so we stop putting it into our bodies! Also, that we can take something that is considered vain in the world's eyes and do something positive with it, like sponsoring a Water Well in Africa through makeup sales on our site.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Love what you do! Don't sell the house when you have a day or week without sales and always put your customers first, they help you become the company/artist you want to be! Oh and don't burn your eyes out in the forums - they are addicting!

RAE, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us! I LOVED your answers and was happy to learn a bit about you and your work. I especially like the idea that your products don't have any of the harmful ingredients that a lot of products do!! It is also wonderful that you are donating a portion of each of your sales for a well in Africa!! Great job! Be sure to visit MIXOLOGY MAKEUP by clicking on the links below!



MIXOLOGY MAKEUP BLOG

No comments: