Saturday, January 30, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - ARTISTRY by MCKENZIE*G

Black Chandelier Headband
by
McKenzie

This chic piece is perfect for special occasions or on the day you just feel like being a little sexy.


WELCOME, McKenzie and her Etsy shop ARTISTRY BY MCKENZIE*G.  Pay a visit to Mckenzie's shop and you will find such delightful creations such as the feather, black netting headband above, which has been embellished with faux black, white, pewter pearls and a chandelier brooch!  Very stunning!  You will also find a "white wedding" hairpiece section, clips and more!

First let's take a moment to hear from McKenzie as she tells us in her own words how she got started on this creative venture.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I am a cosmetologist, and all through high school I always made little accessories to wear in my hair, eventually I began making them for friends and family and the trend caught on! I have always loved vintage inspired items and so when I would look for vintage inspired accessories, I couldn't find anything that I just loved. So I decided the only way I could have them the way I like them, would be me making them myself! After a lot of time and practice, I was able to create items that I am really proud of. I began selling at local farmer's markets and craft fairs and that lead me to selling on Etsy! Then www.artistrybymckenzieg.etsy.com was born!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I don't really feel like I really had to make that decision. Everything has really fallen into place for me. I work with anything and everything I can!



Whimsique Clip

Feeling a bit whimsical? This clip will help bring that feeling to your day. Red and orange feathers make this clip really stand out, while red tulle gives it a touch of elegance. Who says being whimsical can't be beautiful?



What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I LOVE making classic items with a modern twist. I love when I will wear them in public and girls will come up to me and just go on and on about them and how much they would love to own one. I find sharing my talent with others the most enjoyable.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would choose a peach. Peaches are soft and fuzzy on the outside, just as my accessories can give a sweet soft look. But when you bite into a peach, they are juicy and full of flavor. That is just how my accessories are. The fuzzy classy pieces are only be beginning. I have crazy pieces, and fun colors as well!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I love riding my bike and decking it out. Is that crazy? Probably. I have a fun basket with a flower accessory that I made for it and I just love to ride my vintage inspired bike!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That vintage beauty isn't dead.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

I think it is so important to surround yourself with others that are supportive and are always willing to help give you ideas and inspiration. Also, don't be frustrated when the sells aren't coming. Sometimes those times are the best because you are able to focus on new products.

THANKS, McKenzie, for a great interview and for sharing your creativity with everyone.

To learn more about McKenzie and her creations be sure to visit the links below.

1 comment:

Erica said...

What very lovely facinators! I think they are just beautiful, and what a fun feature!