Monday, January 25, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - "terrabella"


Popoyo - Long Strand Coconut Necklace

by Sheila of "terrabella"

WELCOME, Sheila and her Etsy shop, "terrabella"!  Sheila's shop is a "must visit", where you will find not only unique, exqusite designed jewelry made from wood, coconut, and gemstones, but also exotic leathers goods, baskets and more.  All of these delightful creations are handmade in Nicaragua.

It is always interesting and fun to learn a bit about the artist who creates the work, so let's read Sheila's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

My grandmother has been a jeweler for over 30 years. My grandmother, mother, and I all moved to Nicaragua around 1995. I became her apprentice. I learned from her and was inspired to begin my own creations and open various retail stores.. Today I am still her apprentice and she is an inspiration and a mentor (also my neighbor).

We are now four generations of jewelry designers -- my 7 year old daughter is the fourth generation in learning how to work with mixed mediums.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Semi precious stones, gold and silver were necessary in order to fit in to the retail jewelry store. Since we are in Nicaragua, the tourist market led me to begin experimenting with other mediums like wood and exotic leather. I love the combination of exotic and natural materials. Everyday I find new inspirations in my surroundings and am always looking for new ways to offer variety in textures and styles. "terrabella" has given me the opportunity to experiment with these natural mediums.


Pine Needle Basket
by Shelia of "terrabella"

These intricate baskets are woven by hand utilizing the needles of the pine tree, and can take up to week to make. Two beaded flowers made of dried seed accent two sides of the basket.



What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The inspiration and gratification I receive every time I create a new piece.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Avocado. It has different textures and colors. It can be combined with different ingredients and used in multi-cultural dishes.


Mango - Solid Wood Keepsake Box with Cluster of Jade,
Smoky Quartz, Lime Citrine and metal Charm


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Clothing. Accessories are usually worn to complement an outfit. It would be a true adventure for me to create the entire outift.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Enjoy life and the wonders of nature!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Focus on what you love, fulfills and inspires you.

Thanks, for a great interview, Sheila!  It was fun getting to know you and see your wonderful creations!

If you'd like to see more of Sheila's work, and learn more about them, be sure to visit her links below.


No comments: