Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SCHIN ILLUSTRATED



The Brief Glimpse 8 X 10 Print

Description:

"I caught your gaze across the room. I may be hidden under my porcelain face, but all my secrets will be unveiled to you through my golden eyes." For this painting, I wanted to show the most mysterious, beautiful woman peeking out in interest. However, I wanted to keep a secret behind her eyes.. she may look polished, but she is also cold.

 WELCOME, Schin and her beautiful digital paintings!  Her Etsy shop is called SCHIN ILLUSTRATED, and when you pay a visit to Schin's shop you will find ethereal, magical paintings, which tell a story.  First, take the time to learn more about this talented artist by reading Schin's interview below.
 
 
What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I started drawing since I was a kid, and since I never really grew up, I kept on drawing but decided to branch out beyond stick figures.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I first started with pen and ink, then watercolor and eventually explored acrylic, oil painting and mixed media. When I was introduced to digital painting, I was skeptical but tried it anyway. It wasn't necessarily easier, but it sure is cheaper and faster, and the convenience of it made me paint primarily in digital media. Now and then, I would get my hands dirty again with watercolors and ink, but it turns out that my portfolio is largely digital now.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The actual painting stage, when the sketch is done and I get to the coloring, that's my favorite part. Painting is a form of relaxation for me. I enjoy choosing the colors, planning the brushstrokes and blending everything together. I'll put on some music or a movie, a mug of tea by my side and my feet in cozy socks and just paint away. I can get really into it and begrudge the hours I need for sleep and food because it takes me away from the painting.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

An apple. It's simple and subtle, but is powerful. The colors can be bright and cheerful or dark and sultry. The taste is crisp and light but you can really sink your teeth into it. But most of all, it looks unassuming but a further look beneath the humble exterior lies a treasure trove of mystery, folklore, mythical beliefs and inspiration. It was the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge, the golden apple used in the race, the inspiration for gravity, the poisoned apple that tempted the girl, etc. That and I bake a mean apple pie.



BUTTERFLY LOVER


Description: "This is my dream. I weave my thoughts onto silk, and as I sleep, my dreams flow into the world. Was it real or just my imagination? The butterflies and lotus flowers bear my yearning."


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Besides my visual illustration, I've forayed into the other creative realms of music, jewelry making, photography, graphic design, toy design and fashion. I don't think I could choose just one, seeing how I feel like I've my hands in everything already.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

It's my mission to capture beauty, first and foremost. I paint women to portray beauty because we can all identify with a gorgeous female face, but I also try to have beauty in color, shape and design as well. Underneath the surface beauty, however, I always try to weave in a story or mystery, or a sense that something is not right. Perhaps it could be the look in the eye that doesn't seem focused on the viewer, or a bride that turns out to be a gigantic sea monster or a beautiful woman who seems to be eating strange things. No matter what, I just love it when a viewer does a double take and realize that things aren't what they seem in my paintings.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

I would stress on originality in your art. As Oscar Wilde said, everyone else is taken so just be yourself.

Thanks, Schin, for taking the time to tell us in your own words what your art means to you.  I love the ethereal quality in your paintings!

To learn more about Schin and her work, be sure to visit her links below.


No comments: