Sunday, August 22, 2010

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - Natalie of Lissi Naturally Dyed Products


(CLICK on above link to learn more about this beautiful silk scarf)
WELCOME Natalie and her Etsy shop Lissi Naturally Dyed Products.  Pay a visit to Natalie's shop and you will find a gorgeous selection of  hand dyed products.  There is something so rich and exquisite about silk, and to have it handdyed naturally is the ultimate treat!

First, take a moment to read Natalie's interview below to learn a bit more about this talanted artist.

What led you to start creating your art/craft

I’ve always enjoyed being creative, and when I left school at 16 I became a florist. I returned to education when I was twenty and gained a degree in Fashion Marketing. It was my final major project for university that saw me start researching into the ethics and organics of the fashion industry, and for that I created a brand of clothing, Lissi, highlighting the alternatives to chemical based dyes that can be used to dye fabric and cloth. Since I graduated I have an office based job as a merchandiser so to keep myself actively creative I decided I to launch Lissi Naturally Dyed Products as an accessories and supplies brand!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I think it all stemmed back to working in the florist’s shop and my love for nature and fauna. There is so much choice to experiment with and it’s really exciting to see how things turn out once they have entered the dye pot.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The not knowing! Well, most off the time unless I am trying to re-create a certain colour or mimic a previous print for a custom order that is!


Everything I dye comes out different which gives each piece a special uniqueness.



(CLICK on above link to learn more about these beautiful cards)

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?


Hmm, a tough one. What kind of fruit or vegetable can be unpredictable?...possibly an orange as these can surprise by being either super sweet or bitterly sour!


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I really miss drawing and illustrating. I haven’t done so much since I finished my degree and recently reminisced over my portfolio.


What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

(CLICK on link above to learn more about this unique silk ball necklace)



I really just want to show people alternative design aspects. We don’t always have to rely on man and chemicals, and should look to the nature around us to see how self sufficient we really can be.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


If you are just starting out, take time to research your market and the right venues to show your work, and don’t get down hearted if your items don’t fly out. Ask friends and families to spread the word too. Things started really slow for Lissi Naturally Dyed Products, and I won’t be able to leave my 9-5 job for many years, if ever, but it’s more about the fulfilment of still being able to be creative for me....and it’s an added bonus that people like what I do!


Thanks, Natalie, for sharing your thoughts and silk creations with everyone!   They are absolutely beautiful!
 
To see more of Natlie's creations, be sure to visit her links below.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Thanks for a lovely feature Donna x

DZFANTASY said...

You are very welcome, Natalie. It is a pleasure to have your beautiful creations on my blog.