Saturday, August 28, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MOMSHOO by Shu Ning

by MOMSHOO
(CLICK on item's title above to learn more about it)

I'm happy to have Shu Ning and her Etsy shop, MOMSHOO here on DZFANTASY as a "featured" Etsy shop.  When you pay a visit to MOMSHOO you will find delightful, colorful fabric badges and pins to add a bit of fun to any outfit.

First, take a moment to read Shu Ning's interview below.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Strictly speaking I only started sewing after attending a patchwork class, but way before that, I had art classes all the time! And it was only after being inspired by so many plush artists I read about in books that got me thinking, “Hey! That looks fun and something I could do IT too!” The boredom following the long break before entering University also helped fuel the start of Momshoo.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

As mentioned before, plush artists were my first inspirations and trying to come up with my own plush for a major art project in school got me hooked on sewing! It wasn’t difficult to realize I wanted to work on all things fabric.


Momshoo- The Little Prince fabric badges set

(CLICK on the item's title above to learn more about it)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Hmm… tough decision. I think I like the finding of inspiration (usually involves shopping around and I can disguise it as ‘working’)… Sewing is also very therapeutic, but I love putting on the finishing touches as I get that sense of satisfaction seeing the readymade products!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

The lemon! The fruit is sour and some people (like me) love it, others do not. In some way my craft is very specific and you either like it a lot or you don’t! Which is the reason why I don’t actively push my products to passers-by at flea markets; hard-sell doesn’t work for my kind of products. And for those who are interested, they usually appreciate my creations a lot more.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Wood! Ah, yes, most definitely wood. I am always attracted to the tiny wooden toys of Germany, but I haven’t had a chance to learn wood-craft as I haven’t found anyone in Singapore who teaches it.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

There are many ways you can add ‘fun’ in your lives!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Shop around and experiment often. I find this is a good way for me to come up with new products. (I am still very new to all this! Maybe they have advice for me too? )

Thanks, Shu Ning, for taking the time to share your thoughts and your creativity with all of us. 

Be sure to visit Shu Ning's links below to see more of her delightful creations.

No comments: