Thursday, December 16, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BROWN'S COUNTRY ORIGINALS

(CLICK on item's title above to learn moer about this charming Santa!)

WELCOME, Mike and his charming creations, which he sells through his Etsy shop, BROWN'S COUNTRY ORIGINALS.  Mike designs and creates one-of-a-kind, whimsical paper mache collectibles, with old world style santas being his speciality!  Be sure to pay a visit to BROWN'S COUNTRY ORIGINALS after reading Mike's interview below.  You will surely find yourself smiling as you see all the fun characters!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started making furniture .... I soon realized it took a lot storage space. It was not eay to pack and unpack plus I needed a big truck to haul the furniture to shows. I decided I needed something that took up less space. For years I collected paper mache and chalkware Santa's, so I decided to try and make some myself.  Read various articles on ceating paper mache and chalkware ... experimented with various receipes and finally came up with one that worked for me.


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


For years I collected paper mache and chalkware Santa's, so I decided to try and make some myself.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


I enjoy working with the paper mache the most as it allows me to use my imagination.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

The star fruit ... most fruits and vegetables are round or oblong but the star fruit is unique it is star shaped. My work is like the star fruit because it is very unique.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


Wood because I love making furniture.


(CLICK on the item's title above to learn more about this whimsical Santa!)

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


Handmade work is unique and one of kind .... it is not mass produced.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


Try to think out of the box and never get discouraged?


THANKS, Mike, for sharing your wonderful, imaginative creations with all of us.  When looking at them, they take you to a fun, whimsical place! 


To see more of Mike's designs visit the links below.  You just might find a delightful creature you can't live without!



(CLICK on item's title above to learn more about this fun "snowman"!)

No comments: