Tuesday, August 26, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BUTTERFLY MOSAICS2 by Monica

Let's welcome Monica of BUTTERFLY MOSAICS2 on Etsy, and learn a little bit about her and her charming mosaic creations. What a charming little bird bath above! Great soap dish or jewelry holder!

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I was surfing the internet one day and came upon this beautiful mosaicked box. I fell in love with it. The price was out of my range at the time and I thought ~ maybe I could do that. After tons of trial and error I completed my first piece… it was horrific and didn’t even come close to the intricate box I had stumbled upon the week before. So I kept trying…

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I’ve tried so many different types of crafting… I never stuck with any of them. Mosaics I did. I just love creating something new and beautiful out of something that someone was willing to give away.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love looking for china. I usually go to thrift markets and garage sales to find vintage & antique dinnerware. It’s a rush when I find a fantastic pattern at an awesome price. Also, knowing that all of these pieces have a story behind them intrigues me. All the family dinners, Grandparent memories, or maybe their wedding gifts. It makes me feel like I am preserving someone’s memories somewhere.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A Pear… shabby/vintage looking, but yummy at the same time.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I’d love to be able to draw. I really, really wish I could transfer some of my creativity to pencil and paper. Every once and a while I get the thought in my head that if I try hard enough I’ll be able to draw. So I go and buy the fancy paper and the fancy pencils and sit down and… nope, I still can’t draw.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Well, I would say.....find your own personal style. Experiment with different ways of doing your craft, you’ll find a balance, which is some kind of mixture of all the experiments and that becomes unique to you.

Monica, how wonderful that you "kept on trying" because your mosaic creations are just so beautiful and charming! Thanks, again, for taking the time to share your thoughts and creations with us. Be sure to visit Monica's BUTTERFLY MOSAICS2, and her other links listed below.




FLICKR

BUTTERFLY MOSAICS

No comments: