Saturday, August 30, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - GWYNN'S GIFTS

I was looking through Gwynn's Gifts before I started to put them out here as a "featured Etsy" shop, and as I always love to learn more about people, I am drawn to the profile section of each shop. Here is a portion of the profile to give you even a bit more information as, Heather tells us how GWYNN'S GIFTS came about. Then, be sure to read the following interview that Heather so kindly took the time to complete.

We are a mother- daughter team that has a passion for all things creative. My mother has been teaching me new crafts since I can remember. We have had so much fun learning new techniques and trying things out together. We love to work with all kinds of mediums. We enjoy doing tiny things all the way up to trying to build our own furniture. The sky is the limit for us when it comes to creating new things. My mom is very good at following instructions and learning things to the tee. I on the other hand just like to look at new things and go my own way from there. We have very different approaches to our creating, but we both get the same pleasure out of it

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
I originally started making jewelry to keep my hands busy. I had quit smoking and needed something to do (still a non smoker after 2 years). My mom had started making jewelry so she had all the supplies, so I just went to town. In the first 2 weeks, I had made over a 100 pairs of earrings and I had nothing to do with them. My mom also has a love of beautiful paper and textures so she started making cards and the two just seemed to merge together. It was something we could both create and Gwynn’s Gifts was born. We both have the middle name Gwynn so that is how the name came about.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I still haven’t decided what I want to work with because I love everything. So I tend to do a little of this and a little of that.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find it very rewarding to have what is in my mind come out with my creations. I feel so proud when something turns out just right and I love it when people are so happy to receive it.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I think I would choose an apple because the cores are all the same, but they come in all different shapes and colors.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

I love to sculpt with clay. If I could I would have my own space with a wheel and a kiln, that might just be pure bliss.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I hope when people receive our cards that they feel special.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Just do what feels good. If you love it, then that is all there needs to be. Art is personal, and we are all lucky when it is shared.

Heather, what a wonderful thing for you and your mom to be able to co-create together. Thanks, again for taking the time to share your thoughts and work with all of us. I really love the idea of the cards and earrings, and other items as a gift set!! The "trout fly" is also great! Very unique and lovely ideas! Be sure to visit GWYNN'S GIFTS to see all the beautiful cards and gift sets available.




BLOG

FLICKR

No comments: