Sunday, August 31, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - OLIVE DESIGNS by OLIVIA

At OLIVE DESIGNS by OLIVA you will find delightful, colorful change purses like the one above, wallets, earrings, and unique beaded hairpins to add a bit of whimsy to your hair! Be sure to visit Olivia's shop, and see if she has something for you.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?
It's very hard to say what led me in this direction, because I have been creating things ever since I can remember. I have always loved arts and crafts, creating things, and things of beauty or color ever since I was small. I started with doodling, drawing and painting, and then got into jewelry design, and sewing. When I recieved my first sewing machine for Christmas, that was a big stepping stone in getting into sewing, fibre art, and even fashion design. Through all my experimentations, I taught myself sewing techniques.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I got really into sewing and fashion design because it was a way to create art out of used and vintage clothing and fabrics, that was functional as well as beautiful. I love that idea! I wouldn't say that I only work with one medium. I do prefer sewing crafts and fibre art, I have tried so many different things! There are always new techniques to try and new materials to use. From watercolor painting to stained glass and felting, I love to explore new mediums.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?
I love sitting and listening to music and piecing together my designs. It's so much fun to put the pieces of fabric together and mix patterns and colors. I also love arranging buttons. I love how satisfying it is to have a finished product that so much love and care went into , and how each item comes out completely different.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?
I would choose a strawberry...small, delicate, and cute as a button. Understated, unique, fun, and with a punch of flavour on the inside.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?
I also do a little bit of jewelry design, but I love to do fun watercolor and ink paintings. I would love to get more involved in it and learn more about it, I'm sure that will be my next big obsession.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?
That life is beautiful! The little things in life can bring such joy, and you should just look around you and be appreciative of the beautiful world we live in.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
Never give up! I know that is what everyone always says, but its true! If crafting and art is what brings you the most joy, and you love to do it, then continue with it, and keep working at it to evolve and fine tune your craft. I love how there is such a huge artist's community, that I never even knew about before, and I send all the best to all artists and crafters out there!! Keep being creative!

OLIVA, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with us. I'm sure you will find many other avenues of expressing yourself. Be sure to stop and visit...OLIVE DESIGNS out on Etsy. You can also learn more about Oliva and her designs by visiting her Indie Public link below.


INDIE PUBLIC


No comments: