Thursday, September 4, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CAROLINE'S DESIGNS

WELCOME, CAROL OF CAROLINE'S DESIGNS as a featured Etsy artost out here on DZFANTASY! I love to see all the different styles and designs of the jewelry artists out on Etsy. It is a very wide and diverse group. CAROLINE'S DESIGNS has some very wonderfu. unique pieces in her shop so be sure to check it out. Below you can read what this artist has to say about herself and her work. I think it is always fun to get a little "insight" into the person and their creations. It gives each artist's work a bit more life.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Growing up in the 1950’s, my dad refused to let his only daughter - me - get my ears pierced because he thought it was trampy. In college and as a corporate clone, dorky Napier clips were OK, but they definitely didn’t reflect my free spirit. When I left corporate life to spread my wings, I taught myself to make earrings, then necklaces, then bracelets and here I am! Had I gotten my ears pierced, I might have missed this extraordinary journey – thanks, daddy!


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

When I was 4 years old, I refused to get my picture taken with Santa unless I could wear my grandmother’s large amber necklace in the photo. She let me wear it and there was no turning back – jewelry has always been my passion!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

My greatest joy is in the creative design process. Sometimes when I choose a strand of interesting beads or a distinctive pendant or a chunky piece of silver and experiment with complementary colors, shapes, textures, an amazing design will just emerge – it presents itself unexpectedly and almost mysteriously. In that single magical moment, I intuitively know the piece is “right.”

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Yum – pineapple just because it’s so darn delicious and so is jewelry design.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Mixed-media collage. I have an affinity for vintage photographs of women from 1850-1930’s, and would breathe new life into those women on whose shoulders we stand, by making them the focal point of my designs.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

My creations are designed to inspire people to live, laugh, love; to find the best in themselves; and to be the best they can be.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Give your inner critic an all-expenses paid, one-way ticket to oblivion.


Great interview, Carol!! Love your answers and your work! As I was browsing through Caroline's Designs, I ran across her whimsical pins, and thought I'd add a photo of one here. Treat yourself to some fun, and visit CAROLINE'S DESIGNS!









No comments: