Thursday, October 22, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - PAINTING PAM AND PAPER TOO


Here's Your Stimulus Package Paper Money Note Cards
by PAINTING PAM

These Paper Money Note Cards are perfect to enclose real money for graduation, anniversaries, birthdays and for those special people in your life.


Measuring 5 3/4" X 8 1/2", the card is formed with beaten abaca fibers and genuine shredded US Currency. The Currency has been hand stirred into the pulp.

WELCOME, Pam and her Etsy shop, PAINTING PAM AND PAPER TOO.  When you pay a visit to Pam's shop you will find delightful offerings of handmade "paper wear jewelry", "frameable paper wall art", "note cards" and more....so be sure to pay a visit.  

First let's learn a little bit more about Pam and how she got started creating her homemade paper items.
 
What led you to start creating your art/craft?
 
I took a hand papermaking course in 1990 at Penland School in NC.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

This course inspired me to return home and set up my own papermaking studio with a vacuum table to create large paper sculptures.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

In papermaking, there are many actions which I do which creates a rhythm or dance. There is the noise of the blender, the quietness of the water, the coolness of the water and pulp as I dip my hands and mould/deckle frame in, the pressing new paper on blankets and finally moving my 12 ton hydraulic press out into the driveway. I love all of these.



Ferns Embedded in Hand Made Paper
Framable handmade paper in 8 x 10 matting for easy framing

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would you choose and why?

I'm a fruit smoothie, any flavor because I use a blender to chop up the pulp, use many colors of pulp and it's liquidy!!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

I would be a collage artist because using different types of paper, one glues and pastes all kinds of paper to create an art piece.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Hand papermaking is over 300 years old with the origins starting back in China. The process I go through is labor intensive, but buyers will purchase an original note card or stationery with real leaves and/or flowers.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

My advice for artists--Do what you love and love what you do. As an artist, this is my escape from the modern world.

Pam, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and original handmade paper items.

To learn more about PAINTING PAM AND PAPER TOO, be sure to visit the links below.


BLOG

FACEBOOK FAN PAGE

ARTFIRE SHOP