Saturday, October 17, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - SQUIDART



by SQUIDART

(CLICK on the photo's title to learn more about this print)


WELCOME, Katie and her Etsy shop SQUIDART!  You will find fine art photography and mixed media prints, in a variety of subjects, when you pay a visit to SQUIDART.

I love the colors in the above print and the title for this photo is perfect!

Let's learn a bit more about Katie by reading her interview below.


What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I started taking a few photography classes in high school, and I just fell in love with the dark room process. I continued to take a class or two in college, but most of what I do is self taught. After I graduated college, I put photography away for a while. Then, my husband bought me a copy of Photoshop. The love was reborn! I dove in head first and started creating again.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I actually really miss the dark room process. I could get lost in that room for hours playing with the developing chemicals and trying to make that shot perfect. Dark room photography takes so much time and patience, and because of that, you feel so much more rewarded when you see the final product.

Now, Photoshop is like that for me. I love to see what I can make that software do. All I have to do is imagine the final shot, and if I take enough time and am patient enough, I can get Photoshop to create that for me.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Kumquat – It’s a little different and a little fun.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Sewing… I don’t know how to do it yet, but my next big purchase will be a sewing machine. I am so excited to learn the craft and see what kind of mess I can make with it.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Each picture is meant to convey some type of mood, whether that be serious or lighthearted. It really is a way to show people an emotion and ask if they have ever felt that way. That is why people become so connected to art. People love your work when they can share in the emotion that it shows.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Put it out there and have some fun. Part of the reason we create is to share, and Etsy gives us such a wonderful and easy way to do that. Take a chance and share your work with the rest of the world!


by SQUIDART

(CLICK on the photo's title to learn more about this beautiful print!)

Thanks, Katie, for taking the time to share you thoughts and photographic creativity with all of us. 

To learn more about Katie and SQUIDART, be sure to click on the links below.

SQUIDART BLOG

No comments: