Tuesday, November 3, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - JACBERKITSCH


A Crocheted Robot named Snowy


WECLOME, Gillian and her Etsy shop, JACBERKTISCH. Gillian is a New Zealand artist who has a wide variety of creative items to choose from when you visit her shop.  You will find crocheted Tea cosys, toilet roll dolls, crocheted scarves, jewelry and more!

First let's learn a little bit more about Gillian by reading her interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Last year I decided that I wanted to make quirky teapot cosies and got annoyed with trying to knit, I'd been crocheting for a while (always granny squares) and I found out that I could do different things with my crochet hook that wasn't a granny square plus I find it way easier than knitting! After teapot cosies I did loo roll dolls and after that there was no stopping me.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I've tried a lot of different crafts, what I love about working with yarns is that there are so many different types, from the plain coloured ones to the fancy ribbon ones, so I suppose it's the variety that I really like.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The suprise of it all! I don't use patterns, so when my yarn and my hook get together anything can happen!


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

It would be a Kumara (sweet potato) because they come in all different shapes, sizes, colours and they taste good cooked in lots of different ways. Versatile would be a good word.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Fabric. I have so many ideas to create amazing things on the sewing machine, animals, dolls, clothes, anything and everything. It's a shame my sewing machine dislikes me so much!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Fun and enjoyment. I want people to enjoy and have as much fun with my creations as I do making them. Whether it's looking at, playing with or wearing them.


What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don't be shy to show off your creations, it can take lots of guts and courage, you may have a knock or two, however the positives will totally surpass them!

Thanks, Gillian for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with all of us.

To learn more about Gillian, be sure to pay a visit to the links below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks heaps for featuring me :-)