Wednesday, November 25, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - TO BOLDLY FOLD ..The Art of Paper



Softcover Golden Brown Leather Sketchbook or Journal
with Slate Grey Thread and Vintage Button - Edition 115

by Melissa

"I love when the natural edge of the leather creates the perfect edge for the books. It's such a great combination of structure and nature."


Melissa of TO BOLDLY FOLD on Etsy creates truly wonderful, unique, quality leather journals and sketchbooks.  They are truly works of art, and would make wonderful gift ideas.

Below, Melissa tells us, in her own words, how her creativity evolved into creating her leather journals and sketchbooks.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I've been an artist all my life, but I think one of the biggest influences was being exposed to art at an early age. I always went to museums a lot when I was little, and it definitely inspired me.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I was always drawing and writing in books, but I found that I was never satisfied with the quality of mass produced sketchbooks. I started to see the need for better quality when I was in art school, so I started making books as a hobby.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I think finding new inspiration is my favorite part of the experience. There are a billion possibilities, and it's always great brainstorming crazy ideas.




If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I think it would be an apple. Fall is my favorite season, and I'm always inspired by it and by nature. Apples have so many uses and can be used as a symbol for many different things. My work is created to inspire others and has many different uses as well.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'm constantly switching between mediums in my work. I don't consider myself a specific type of artist. I am an artist, and that encompasses many different types of mediums. I love that because it allows exploration and constantly opens up new doors to new work.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I want to convey possibility. I create my work so that others can have a place to create theirs. My greatest excitement comes when people show me the work that they have created in the pages of the journals and sketchbooks that I have made. I'm glad to be a part of their creative process.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

If it is your dream and your passion, go for it. No matter what stands in your way, take it one day at a time and figure things out. Also, be organized!


Melissa, thanks for a great interview and sharing your creativity with all of us!!  Your creations are very beautiful and I love the natural look of them.

To learn more about Melissa and her art, be sure to visit her links below.  What perfect gifts!

BLOG

No comments: