Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - PICCOLINA DESIGNS



Bobbing for Apples Tutu

The "Bobbing for Apples Tutu" is created with a spectrum of apple hues in Gala red, Golden Delicious and Granny Smith green tulle. A truly scrumptious treat for your little girl!


WELCOME, Mia and her Etsy shop, PICCOLINA DESIGNS. What will you find at PICCOLINA DESIGNS......?  The most darling colorful tutus to make YOUR little one look like a princess!  The colors are enchanting, and Mia will be happy to work with you on a custom order, so be sure to pay her shop a visit.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

When I discovered I was pregnant with my daughter, I began looking for modern children's clothing and was surprised to find that there weren't a lot of options. It inspired me to pull out my sewing machine and start making them myself. When she was about six months old, and becoming a mobile maniac, I decided to purchase her a tutu for a six month photo shoot. I had a vision in my mind of what I wanted, but could not find what I was looking for... and it spiraled from there. I had several friends and family members with young daughters who were endowed with tutu gifts, and I began getting orders through word of mouth. I recently started my website and Etsy site, and it has been a wonderful experience. The craft community is so supportive of each other, and have helped make it a smooth transition into the online business. It is extremely rewarding when someone falls in love with something you design.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I usually am inspired by my daughter to create something. I make my first design for her, and the most enjoyable part is seeing her enjoy wearing it!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Interesting question! Definitely a fruit, as tutus are full of sweetness. My choice would be an apple. They come in a variety of bold colors and I have been inspired by the apple orchards & Tree Adventure of Nebraska City to create one of my tutus (the 'Bobbing for Apples Tutu').

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

My profession is as an interior designer, so I am fortunate to be able to live out my other medium of choice. Our society spends most of our time in a built environment, and it is a real joy to design a positive place for people to spend their days.


TWILIGHT TUTU - Size Small

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Life is full of whimsy. Nothing profound, but all the same.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

As I mentioned before, the craft community is an incredibly welcoming group of talented people. I would recommend getting involved in the craft community, whether participating in Etsy forums or a local group of artisans, they are great sources of information and support.

THANKS, Mia, for taking the time to share your thoughts and enchanting tutus with all of us.  To learn more about Mia and her creations, be sure to visit the links below.


PICCOLINA DESIGNS WEBPAGE

No comments: