Wednesday, November 4, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - My Little Chickadee Creations


Painted It's Hip to Be Square Woodland Wide Eyed Owl Coasters Set of 4

This is a set of 4 tumbled tiles (measuring 4 x 4) that have been stamped and hand painted. The design is of 4 different wide eyed owls with the saying "It's hip to be square" around each owl.




I'm happy to have Ellie and her Etsy shop, My Little Chickadee Creations, here on DZFANTASY as a featured artist.  Ellie's shop has a wide selection of painted tile coaster sets (4 tiles to a set, like the one above), single painted coasters, tile trivets, tile coasters for men, and a lot more!  These creations would make lovely gift ideas, so be sure to pay My Little Chickadee Creations a visit.

I think it is always fun to get a "peek" into the person behind the creativity, so hope you enjoy reading Ellie's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started about 10 years ago, went to a home party where someone was stamping and fell in love instantly. I loved to craft as a child, cross stitch, needlepoint, that type of thing but didn't feel very creative since I couldn't free hand paint or draw very well. But once I discovered stamping, then my creative juices started to flow! I started a business a few years later, mainly concentrating on fabric stamping and paper crafts. I had my business for about 5 years but went through a divorce and a move to a new city and pretty much sold everything. About a year ago, the creative itch returned but I have evolved with what I stamp on from before.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Now I like to work on tiles. I had "played" around with working on tiles briefly, but then took my long break from crafting and for some reason it stuck in my mind when I returned to stamping. I just really love the texture of tumbled tile (not glossy tiles) when painting.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Designing..no matter what I'm working on. I think of designs in my head all the time. I'm inspired by nature, tv ads, print ads, kids' cartoons (I have little kids, can't help it!).

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Lettuce...as there are many layers to a head of lettuce.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'm always looking at different mediums to express myself. I want to do more "altering" work where I take something old or vintage and turn it into something more modern and usable.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I like to bring a smile to the person's face and help people stay positive.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

You have heard it a million times before but do what you love. Don't "think" so much about will it work, is it too weird, will anyone buy what I do, just do what you love and learn about business if you going into selling your work. You need to wear both the "artist" hat and the "business owner" hat at that point, but if you are doing what you truly love to do, then people will come and buy from you.

THANKS, Ellie, for a great interview and for sharing your creative talents with everyone.

To learn more about Ellie and her work, please visit her links below.



1 comment:

Debsparkles said...

Donna, just want to thank you for the hard work you put into showing us so many artists working in so many different mediums and styles. It is such a great way to see everything Etsy has to offer through these fabulous people.
Deb