Friday, April 25, 2008

PAM QUEVEDO - FEATURED ARTIST

WELCOME TO PAM'S WORK.

BELOW, IN PAM'S OWN WORDS, SHE WILL TELL YOU ABOUT WHO SHE IS AND WHAT HAS INSPIRED HER TO CREATE HER WONDERFUL DESIGNS.

Hi, my name is Pamela Quevedo. I'm a stay at home mom to 2 wonderful little girls. I've been creating stuff since I can remember & I've never stopped teaching myself new things.

HERE IS PAM'S DESCRIPTION OF HER BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF WORK SHOWN ABOVE:

This piece began life as one half of a pattern for a collar called Portrait. I modified the pattern for that half into this amazing piece of neck art. Enhanced with clear swarovski crystals and gray rounds it measures 14 inches laid flat & 4 inched wide at the center. It closes with a sterling silver lobster clasp.

PAM, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL, INTRICATE DESIGN! YOUR CREATIONS GIVE NEW MEANING TO THE TERM "TATTING"!


What led you to start creating your art?
I simply got bored with knitting and crochet a couple of years ago so I went looking for something new. I found needle tatting online and taught myself.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
Most tatting is done with very small thread, but I taught myself with crochet thread. I loved the bold look of the larger thread. I occasionally love to tat with sock yarn as well. It works up so nicely.

What aspect of creating your art do you find the most enjoyable?
I have a compulsive need to keep my hands busy. Tatting jewelry not only fulfills that need, but also allows me to update a fiber art that has long been associated with doilies and grandmothers.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art?
I really want people to see tatting as a modern art. I want them to see my pieces as both a link to the past and a very wearable piece of jewelry.

What advice do you have for other artists?
I always tell people to make what they love. Don't be tempted to cater to a current trend just to sell something. If you create art for art’s sake, then you will always be satisfied with your work whether it sells or not.


THANK YOU, PAM, FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND ART WITH US! If you'd like to see more of Pam's work be sure to visit her links below:

PAM'S ETSY SHOP

PAM'S BLOG

BELOW IS PAM'S ETSY MINI. CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO GO DIRECTLY TO THAT ITEM IN HER SHOP.

No comments: