Tuesday, June 8, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - GLADD RAGGZ



Seaside Sunset
summer inspired handmade fabric hobo style purse. Green, blue, pink. Zipper.

by Pat of GLADD RAGGZ

WELCOME Pat and her fun, colorful creations which she sells in her Etsy shop, GLADD RAGGZ.  When you pay a visit to GLADD RAGGZ, you will find a delightful array of handmade purses, in wonderful colors and styles.  Pat also designs and creates other fiber creations, as well as some jewelry.  It is always fun to learn about the creative person behind any handmade items, so be sure to read Pat's interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I come from a creative family, but their creations were for more practical and economical reasons. That aside, a lot of it's rubbed off on me, and I've always loved the art of self expression, particularly with the hands. So, with that, and the fact that I was taught needle arts such as knitting and crochet at an early age, it just seemed natural to follow my passions.


Handmade white,aqua,teal,blue pearl, glass bead rope necklace.
 Sterling, nickel-free. Free shipping USA

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Although I now work primarily in textiles, I've really used most mediums in some capacity or another. I'm somewhat of a free spirit when it comes to creating, so I try to let my projects guide me instead of the other way around. The only thing that I haven't done is scrapbooking and paper art. I'd like to but never seem to get around to it. I've found that selling on line demands that a person wear many hats, from planning, construction, photography, to promotion, and so forth, and it can be tempting to spread oneself too thin at times.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I really love the actual planning and construction phase. And, of course, the finished product, (hopefully) is the most satisfying if everything works out as planned. If something doesn't make me smile, it isn't a success.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

What an interesting question - I love it! Chili peppers come to mind because they come in many colors, sizes and shapes, and range from mild to hot! I use quite a bit of color in my work, and the colors range across the rainbow and from mild to hot, hot, hot!!


Red Confetti. Handmade, OOAK designer inspired crochet handbag.
 Party, fun, holiday, Mardi Gras.


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be, and why?

I love making jewelry, and my shop has a few pieces left that haven't sold. I think my jewelry designs are "OK", but I've been told that my talent is more in my textile work. So, I've been expanding my skills in that area, specifically purses and other fabric/fiber creations.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

First of all, technique and workmanship is very important to me, and it goes out as a calling card for what I do. So the first message would be that of "quality". Beyond that, I want anything I sell or give as a gift to make the buyer completely happy! My work is constantly evolving, and as I continue with my craft, (in particular, my purses), my goal is for them to be as practical as they are attractive. If a bag isn't useful, the money to purchase it isn't well spent. Most of my textile creations are colorful and not too serious. Making each item brings me great joy, so I want the finished product to evoke joy, as well! And, most of what I make is unique - I never want anything to look like it's been mass produced because it isn't. I could mass produce my work and make more money, but, I believe there are still people who are proud to be individuals, and hopefully when they are looking for something to buy, something in my shop will appeal to them.



REDUCED - Green envy, handmade designer inspired crochet purse.
 Green, ribbons, beads. Eyelash. Fun, party.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Based on what I've learned, do what you're passionate about, and s-t-r-e-t-c-h yourself by trying new techniques and materials! I really believe that being afraid to try something new is a limit to creativity!! Above all, when you are trying something new, see the project through till the end, even if it's a flop. Next time it will be better! Stopping and starting projects and abandoning a new technique only scatters focus and creativity

Great interview Pat.  Your creations are truly delightful and one can tell a lot of love and attention to detail goes into every one of them.  Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone!


To see more of Pat's work, be sure to visit her links below.

No comments: