Saturday, June 19, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - LaCeramiste


(CLICK on the title link above to learn more about this creation)
by Casey of LaCeramiste

WELCOME, Casey and her Etsy shop, LaCeramiste as a featured artist here on DZFANTASY.   Casey designs and creates soldered yarn and quilt pendants like the pendant pictured above., and also many other styles of beaded jewelry. 

Be sure to pay a visit to LaCeramiste to see all of the different colors and styles which Casey has to offer in her fiber pendants, and beaded jewelry.  First, take a moment to learn a little bit more about Casey and her creations by reading her interview below.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've been a crafter since I was in middle school - I used to stay up late nights on my bedroom floor making jewelry for myself and my friends. As a teenager I learned to crochet, knit, and quilt, and I started taking pottery classes in college. My mom was an avid antique collector and period crafter and always cross-stitched, quilted, stenciled, sewed, painted...I got the need-to-make gene from her and took it in my own direction.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Jewelry is something I've always been able to come back to, no matter how many other projects I try out. When I started on Etsy, I had just been back home to visit my dad and childhood home and had gone through a bunch of my old things, including some vintage jewelry stashes and beads/supplies. That got me back into making jewelry around the same time I moved and was job hunting for a couple of months. Etsy seemed like a great way to spend my down time and relieve stress. And I've stuck with it for almost a year so far!


Summery Wire-Wrapped Glass and Gunmetal
(CLICK on item's title to learn more about these delightful earrings)

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love that beads can surprise me - I might have the same set of beads for months and contemplate getting rid of them because I don't think I'll ever use them. Then all of a sudden one day I'll think of a way they can be used out of nowhere. I also love the idea that someone out there is wearing something I made, in a city I've never visited, and might get a compliment on it.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

A pomegranate. It's complex, beautiful, and unique in a way that surprises you if you've never cut one open before.


(CLICK on the above link to learn more about this colorful pendant)


If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Clay - right now I'm low on funds so I can't afford to be taking pottery classes, but I loved doing it when I was able to. I would have gotten into making more pendants and miniature pottery if I hadn't had to quit my class. You have to have patience and a vision when you start creating a piece of ceramic art and I think those were good things for me to practice.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

A piece of jewelry that you love doesn't have to break the bank. I try to keep my prices low because my target market is people like me, who love wearing unique jewelry but can't afford to spend a ton on it - or would rather spend their money on more important things.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Make sure to take some time to make something for yourself once in a while - a pair of earrings just for you, something to put up on your wall, something really good for dessert. It's easier to remember why you do this when you keep a reminder of your own creativity around, instead of shipping it all off to somebody else.


Casey, thanks for taking the time to share your lovely creations and also for giving us a peek into "you" the artist!

To learn more about Casey and her work, be sure to visit the links below.

2 comments:

laceramiste said...

thanks so much for the feature - it's wonderful! off to do a little promoting for your blog ;).

Unknown said...

What a great shop! Love the pendants, so unique!! Thanks for sharing:)