Friday, June 20, 2008

FEATURED ETSY ARTIST - FOLK ART BY CAMPBELL JANE - JANET CAMPBELL

I happened to find this wonderful artist out on Etsy, when she "hearted" my DZFANTASY shop. I'm so happy I clicked on her shop, where I found the most delightful paintings. This one is Janet's favorites, and I can see why. It gives you such a dreamy, serene feeling when you look at her. I also love the texture she achieves by painting on sand.

Be sure to visit Janet's Etsy shop and her blog. Read below to hear what Janet has to say about herself, and how she got started in her art.

I live in Northern California right in the heart of Gold Country. My home is just miles from where apples are grown, wine is made & gold was first discovered. I was born in South Carolina & spent my early childhood there before moving to Japan , Arizona & finally California. I still call South Carolina home. My travels add to my varied taste in art. There isn't any style that I don't like! I love painting angels, mermaids & mermaid angels.I have enjoyed painting for 37 yrs. I am basically self taught but have studied art on my own & taken classes.

What led you to start creating your art!
A Japanese babysitter came with her crochet in hand. She was making an afghan of granny squares & using sparkly yarn. I was 7 and had to do it, could think of nothing else. The trip to the Japanese yarn store with my mother is one of my favorite memories!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
Santa gave me oil paints, easel & canvas when I was 12. I have loved painting since. But still can't resist trying everything else that comes along!

What aspect of creating your art do you find the most enjoyable?
I like painting on fine beach sand. I love the movement, the roughness, the organic aspect to it and the way it looks.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art?
Being at peace, something pleasing to the eye of the beholder.

What advice do you have for other artists?
Don't stop creating & never be afraid to try something new, even if it puts you out of your comfort zone.

Janet, thanks again, for taking the time to share your art and your thoughts!







JANET'S BLOG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful find. I hadn't seen her shop before. Absolutely beautiful work. I especially love the painting called "Faithful"