Thursday, June 12, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - CHICKEN POX


WELCOME, Laura of CHICKEN POX DESIGNS. If you are looking for some colorful, fun, hand-made bags, purses, pouches and more, be sure to visit Laura's shop out on Etsy, which she calls, CHICKEN POX DESIGNS.

Read below to find out a little more about what Laura has to say about her life, work and how she got started!

I am a 21-year-old girl. I study fine art and crafting is my dear hobby and like a part time job. My artwork is often focused on melancholic and more serious things, so when it comes to crafts, I like to make things brighter, colourful and pretty. I love vintage fabrics and inherited a stash from my grandmother. I try to create unique designs and love making one of a kind items. Besides crafts, I love drawing, photography, travelling and reading.
What led you to start creating your art or craft?
I've loved crafts ever since I was a child. My mom and I made Barbie clothes, miniature troll forests and everything else together, but I actually didn't like crafts much in school. I got a sewing machine as a graduation present a few years ago, and I've been making pouches, bags and other little things since then. I will actually get my BA in Fine Art in a few years, and I would love to work as a contemporary art photographer, but sewing is a dear hobby of mine.
How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?
I found sewing difficult back in school craft classes. When I got my own sewing machine I decided to try something small, and that's how I got into making pouches. They're fast and simple to make, so I don't get frustrated. I love using little scraps of vintage fabrics, they are always full of history and inspiration.
What aspect of creating your art or craft do you find the most enjoyable?
To me sewing is very relaxing. It helps me get away from school stress and complicated art projects I deal with on a daily basis. It's also rewarding to get your creations sold. I don't think I'd have the energy to sew as much if I had no place to put all those pouches.
What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art or craft?
I also use recycled, or upcycled materials, and I want everyone to know that eco-friendliness is the way to go, and old materials can come to life in a new way.
What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?
If you sell your work, my advice is to have some kind of a business plan. Know your goals and work for them accordingly. Decide what size you want your business to be. If you want to keep it as a relaxing hobby, don't stress about extreme productivity but be ready to accept your income.
Laura, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and delightful creations with us! Be sure to visit Laura's Etsy shop to see more of her creations.





LAURA'S BLOG

No comments: