Thursday, June 19, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP...HOMEMADE CARMELS BY RACHELLE

Now don't those carmels just make your mouth water!! Yummy! I don't know of anyone who doesn't have a sweet tooth, at least once in a while.

Hear what Rachelle has to say about how she got into making her delicious homemade candies. Be sure to visit her Etsy shop and click on her feedback to hear what people are saying, who have bought her delightful treats, and of course, don't forget to buy some carmels!!

What led you to start creating your homemade candies?

Much to the delight of my family and roommates over the years, I have always loved to cook. It's so fun and satisfying for me to whip up a lovely flavorful meal to share with those around me!

How did you decide what product you wanted to make?

One day about two months ago I was browsing a recipe forum and I came across a recipe for licorice caramel. I was intrigued by it, even though I had never attempted to make any sort of candy before. After lots of trial and error, I perfected the recipe and technique. Then I worked on creating the perfect vanilla caramel too. So, I didn't really choose the craft, it was sort of a happy stumbled-upon accident that turned out fantastically well!

What aspect of creating your candies do you find the most enjoyable?

My "real" job is a nurse, which can be very stressful and draining. Even though I love my occupation, it's always nice to have an enjoyable and tasty diversion. My favorite aspect is the lovely noise the caramel makes as it bubbles and cooks on the stove.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your craft?

I'm not entirely against mass-produced goods, but I do like people to know that there are other options out there. One of my customers said, "This makes Kraft caramel look silly!" The art and beauty of homemade foods is worth the time and effort! Everything doesn't need to come from a box!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love and you'll find others who love it too. When you have a product that you love, it shows!

Thanks, Rachelle, for taking the time to share your ideas and thoughts with us. Don't forget now....visit Rachelle's Etsy shop below to see what other candies she has to offer. I might just have to head that way myself!!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look yummy Rachelle! :) My mum used to make chocolate at home when we were kids.... and we kept adding whatever we wanted :)... that is the beauty of home-made stuff. Will sure visit your store on ETSY!

Rachelle said...

Thanks so much for the feature about my shop! I really appreciate it!