Thursday, October 16, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - DUBLIN ROOTS

TRIBUTE TO VINCENT VAN GOGH

I happened across this delightful artist and her work when viewing a Etsy treasury we both were in. I was attracted to the colors and textures of her pieces. Ruth, of DUBLIN ROOTS was kind enough to take the time to share her thoughts and her beautiful needle-felted art with us. Her "Tribute to Vincent Van gogh" was her choice for her favorite piece, and I have added several other views of this piece out here in her feature. I'm so amazed at the artistry that goes into so many of the needle felted pieces I have seen out here on Etsy. One can only imagine the time it takes to create such a piece as this.

Let's learn a little bit about Ruth and her work. The following paragraph was taken from Ruth's "Profile" out on Etsy, and gives us a bit more insight into Ruth and her art.

I was born in Dublin, Ireland, lived and worked in NY for many years...and feel like i have come home in these North Carolina mountains.. well almost, I love Ireland! Currently working with fibers found locally, and knowing the people who raise the animals I get my wool from adds another whole dimension to my art work. I love working with fibers, doing art, meeting other artists and sharing and exchanging ideas. I have lots of photos on Flickr..dublinroots...meeting so many artists within here and there has opened up a whole world of art..and artists.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I believe we are all artists. I am a self taught artist, and have recently become curious about needle felting. I had never heard of it until 2 years ago.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Any creative activity I engage in pulls me into a world of silence and peace.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable to describe your art/craft, what would it be and why?

The fruit I think of is a Mango.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your "creativity", what would that be and why?

Oil painting would be my choice... because of its fluidity....and I love the smell of oil paints.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I am not aware of any message to convey thru my artwork... my enjoyment comes from people's response to my art. I very much like to see the people who purchase my artwork...that is most satisfying to me.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Advice I can offer is to share your craft and teach others who are interested in learning.

Thanks, Ruth, for taking the time to share your thoughts and wonderful needle-felted creations with us.

Be sure to pay a visit to Ruth's shop on Etsy by clicking on the photos below to go directly to that particular item, or click on Dublin Roots below the photos to get to her shop.


No comments: