Thursday, October 30, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - LULU DESIGN - KATHY V. CRABBE

Zodiac Mandela Soul Card Reading

Kathy designs the cards herself


KATHY
WELCOME....Kathy of LuLu Design on Etsy! Kathy not only will give you an "insight" into areas of your life and what your life path might be, but will also delight you with whimsical prints of faeries, mermaids, cat, dogs, and more! Be sure to treat yourself, and visit LuLu Design!

Kathy is also featuring a "winner's choice" giveaway out here on DZFANTASY for the month of November, so be sure to read all about it and enter. This "Giveaway" will be listed in a separate post below Kathy's "feature". Now let's find out a bit more about this delightful, fascinating artist.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I started LuLu Design in 1993 after a re-birthing session (in California, where else?!!) during which I regressed to the newborn state, was re-birthed all over again and had an amazing revelation about my entire business plan - it was all spelled out for me in black and white! I was also just approaching my Saturn Return, (astrologically speaking) and was ready to get serious about my life and my career! Silk painting was my main medium, during my time in Laguna Beach, California. I discovered an amazing two month long art show in Laguna Beach called The Sawdust Festival, a true artist’s haven, that began in the 60’s. I found a whole community of artists and a whole new way of life too. I had always been an artist and a dreamer, from a very young age, but it wasn’t until I discovered my partner and a town that was incredibly conducive to making a decent living as an artist, that things really took off for me!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I am 43 and have been an artist, creator and dreamer all my life. I grew up in Belleville, Ontario, Canada and received my BA in Art History and a three year Diploma in Graphic Design in Kingston, Ontario. I moved to Southern California when I was twenty-seven years old and got married to my sailor-architect husband when I was twenty-seven and we’re still happily married and living in our modern South-Western style home, designed and built by my husband, single-handedly!
I chose silk painting as my main medium because there is absolutely nothing else like it! The intensity and vibrancy of the colors are amazing - I have created many paintings, kimonos and even earrings from silk!

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Currently, I am working on copperplate and zinc etchings as well as Soul Readings using three magickal decks that I designed and painted myself. These two mediums may appear to be completely different and you’re right, they are! But what they do have in common, creativity-wise is that they both allow me to explore new mediums, develop new skills, and hone old skills in new ways. With printmaking, I am working in a two dimensional medium, but with new materials: zinc and copper plates, acid baths, scratching (etching tools) and a printing press. With my psychic work I am expanding upon my intuitive powers which I have been working with my entire life (via dreamwork), but now, I am able to widen my horizons, and help, not only myself, but many others – which is an absolute thrill for me; being a Virgo, with many planets also in the Virgo House (the 6th House), I am all about service!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable in which to display your “creativity,” what would that be, and why?

Since I’ve been eating so many tomatoes recently (grown on my own property!) that’s all I can possibly think about! Tomatoes are lovely and juicy and so abundant, what more can I say?

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”,” what would that be, and why?

I have wanted to be a jeweler, a glass artist (fused glass jewelry), a weaver, a spinner, a dyer of yarns and wools grown by myself and colored by me, using plants found in the wild and in my garden, as well as a knitter of wonderful Irish sweaters and many, many other things – but it probably won’t be happening, in this lifetime, anyway! These are all mediums I love to buy, to own, to admire and I love the lifestyle that goes with them!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Love what you do with a passion – that’s happiness!

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

If you really want it then just go for it and don’t ever give up!

KATHY, thanks for sharing your creative abilities with all of us, and for giving us an insight into what makes you the delightful artist that you are!

To learn more about Kathy and her work, you can visit any of the links below. Also don't forget to sign up for Kathy's "Winner's Choice" giveaway in the following post below her feature.

BLOG

FLICKR


FACEBOOK

No comments: