Friday, November 7, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BEQI CLOTHING



WELCOME, Beqi and her Etsy shop, BEQI CLOTHING. Here you will find a wide range of delightful earrings, rings, necklaces, chokers and more all designed by Beqi. Before you go visit Beqi's shop and her other links, lets hear what this artist has to say about herself and her creations.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've been sewing since I was 9, but I didn't start sewing clothing until my early twenties. What led me directly to starting a business was a half bottle of merlot on my friend's studio rooftop--she explained the basics of small business ownership to me, and it didn't seem so scary.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


Having a background in clothing (vintage clothing wholesale sale, retail experience, etc.), it was a natural step to take my obsessive love of sewing and make money with it. After a year or so, beading and jewelry work came along.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Everything but the paperwork. I love to sew, buy fabric, bead, soft mount found objects to jewelry backings, design, paint, work on my website and my Etsy site, work craft fairs, sell to stores, the whole shebang.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Japanese Plum. Sweet on the inside with a touch of black humor around the edges.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I actually sing in a band on the side, but I also paint, draw, write, and dance. I'm kind of a jill-of-all-trades when it comes to not getting a 'real' job.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?


With the clothing especially, I want to free women from the idea that sexiness only comes in a too-thin frame, or that their bodies should be altered to fit their clothing. I don't know that the jewelry conveys any deep message, except maybe my disdain of free time.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?


If you can work 16 hour days during the slow season and not lose your head, this is the career for you!

Beqi, thanks for sharing your thoughts and work with all of us. It sounds like you really know how to keep busy, and have a great time with it all! Be sure to visit Beqi's Etsy shop and her web page where you will find her line of clothing, and accessories.



BEQI CLOTHING WEB PAGE

No comments: