Thursday, November 27, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - HOUSE OF MOUSE

Let's welcome, Lorraine, of HOUSE OF MOUSE out on Etsy! House of Mouse creations range from Jewelry, Fairie Accessories, Felted Bowls/Vessels and much more, so be sure to pay a visit. First, let's learn a bit more about the creative person behind HOUSE OF MOUSE.

What led you to start creating your art/craft

I don’t think there was anything in particular, but for as long as I can remember I have always leaned heavily to the artistic side of life. My parents were big influences. My Mum because she used to hand sew all the costumes I needed for Tap and Ballet recitals. Money was not abundant in our family, but I always relished the trips we made to the fabric store where Mum would have an eye for picking out a fabric from the sale bin and making it into something wonderful. My Dad turned his photography hobby into a career later in life. This was well before the age of digital cameras, and I remember spending hours in the red glow of the darkroom watching him making photos – I thought it was a truly magical experience.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I’m not sure I have decided! I love exploring all mediums and the only thing that limits me is trying to persuade my Husband to give up yet another corner of the house! My favourite mediums are those that have some unpredictability to them, where you can guide the outcome but not dictate it, so there are always some surprises (some good, some not so good, some incredible!). My two current favourites are wet felting and photography (not set-up, digitally manipulated photography, more the spontaneous, street photography variety).

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

That’s tough to say, I enjoy all aspects. However, I would say the most frustrating is having an idea and not being able to translate it into reality. I carry ideas around in my head for years sometimes before I figure out a way to bring them to life.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Definitely a pomegranate, it is full of hundreds of little juicy seeds, each one in it’s own unique compartment, but related to each other. It mirrors the many ideas I always have for any one concept!

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Music. There are so many different genres to explore and each one invokes a different emotion to each individual person.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I like to think my pieces draw an emotional reaction, but I don't want to dictate what that might be. I find it really interesting to see the different messages that each individual draws from the same piece.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters? Listen to your heart.

Nurture ideas to their fullest. Experiment. Don’t go anywhere without a pen and scrap of paper!

Thanks, Lorraine, for taking the time to share your thoughts and creations with us. Be sure to visit HOUSE OF MOUSE by either clicking on the photos below, to go directly to that item, or the HOUSE OF MOUSE link below the photos.



No comments: