Sunday, November 9, 2008

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - EARTHSLINGS

I'm happy to welcome Sam and her Etsy shop "Earthslings" as a featured shop out here on DZFANTASY. Above you see a photo of some of Sam's soft, adorable dolls that your little ones can play with and use their imagination and have fun. In addition to these delightful, soft sculptures, Sam creates a very unique way to carry your baby, so be sure to visit EARTHSLINGS after reading what Sam has to say about her creations. You can also find out more about the "slings" by visiting the EARTHSLINGS web page link below the interview questions.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I've been sewing since I was a little girl , and it's something that I kept up right through my teenage years. I created my first handmade dolls for my two young daughters. I just picked up a needle and thread and started making them on a whim - I made a mother, a baby and a big sister and realized afterwards I had inadvertently made us. My girls fell in love with them and being such tiny dolls they were convenient to carry with them everywhere in their hands or pockets. All their friends wanted one, too, so I decided to make them for many more children

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I've had a long running love affair with cloth of all kinds. I can happily spend a day in a fabric store just browsing. I also love the idea of children having special handmade toys out of natural materials.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I find hand sewing very relaxing, so making each doll is a pleasure. Best of all is seeing a child receive one of my dolls. They are always so thrilled - nothing compares. That's something I miss when selling online. I've even had a fun time photographing the dolls for my store. This is a family joint effort - my husband takes the photos and my daughters and I set the dolls up - my girls like to arrange them with flowers from our garden.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Sweet Pea. Because they are sweet and homely.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I've always been attracted to working with glass - stained glass mosaics and mobiles and such. I feel it would be a real contrast to working with soft fabrics.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I hope that the dolls reflect and promote the attachment parenting I practice with my own children. Each Mamma doll carries her newborn in a sling or wrap. This is what I did when my babies were little - I carried them everywhere so that they were happy, and I used a sling so that I could carry on with my daily activities.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Make what you love. That way as well as making money, you get the pleasure of creating. I only work with materials I love and I only make things that I would want to have for myself and in that way I never get tired of my work.

Thanks again, Sam, for taking the time to share your thoughts and creations with everyone! You can find out more about Sam and Earthslings by clicking on the links below.



EARTHSLINGS WEB PAGE

No comments: