Saturday, March 6, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MAHLOW'S MOSAICS

Boats of Vietnam Mosaic Reprint
by David Mahlow

This is a reprint of the original mosaic. The original picture was taken by my girlfriend Tessa in Vietnam. In the original, I took the 8X10 photo, cut it up piece by piece, and repositioned the photo pieces to create a unique mosaic. This is an 8x10 photo.


Welcome, David and his Etsy shop MAHLOW'S MOSAICS.  All I could think of when I saw Davids mosaic creations, was.....WOW!  I've never seen anything like it before, and am happy to have David and his art here on DZFANTASY as a featured Etsy artist!
 
When you pay a visit to David's shop, and read his profile you will see that an original mosaic takes David 30 hours to create!   One can't begin to imagine the patience and skill that goes into creating one of these works of art!
 
Let's find out a little more about David by reading his interview below.
 
What led you to start creating your art/craft?


I created my first mosaic in the 3rd grade. It was definitely made much more meticulously than any of my classmates' mosaics. I made a few pieces in high school and only recently picked up the art again, around age 24.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I started with watercolor pad because I liked the texture. But now I use gesso-primed art panel. Its much sturdier and keeps the art from bending.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I get the most joy out of starting a new mosaic because the possibilities of what it might look like are endless.



A Sunday Afternoon
by David Mahlow

This is a reprint of the original mosaic. The original picture was taken by me in Japan. In the original, I took the 8X10 photo, cut it up piece by piece, and repositioned the photo pieces to create a unique mosaic. This is an 8x10 inch photo.



If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Tomato. The color is so deep you don't want to touch it.

 If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


Painting...on miniature canvases.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

Art is full of opportunity and is the end result of hundreds of choices one makes along the way.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Don't do it for the money! I haven't made any yet. Do it for the love of the craft.


David, thanks for sharing your thoughts and wonderful creativity with all of us!  Keep on creating and doing what you love!!  Turning all those little pieces into a piece of art just amazes me!

David would be more than happy to take one of your special photos and turn it into a mosaic treasure for you. Be sure to visit David's links below.


No comments: