Saturday, March 27, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - GLASSIMO - Modern fused glass by Judit Sipos-Szabo


Red-Gray-Black - Hand Painted Fused Glass Necklace

by Judit of GLASSIMO



WELCOME, Judit and her Etsy shop, GLASSIMO. I love all the colors in Judit's "fused glass" pieces, which you will see when you pay a visit to GLASSIMO.  You will find a great selections of necklaces in so many colors it would be hard to choose which one you like best!

Take a moment to read Judit's interview below as she gives us an insight into what inspires and motivates her.

What led you to start creating your art/craft


I've always liked to discover new fields of creativity. I just have to create. My latest love is glass fusing. Since I've got my own kiln I can't stop experimenting.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I did photography, enamel, drawing, studied architecture, interior design, museum studies....and one day I woke up and thought that I want to make jewelry! I did not know what kind of jewelry, which medium...so I went to a bookstore and the first book I found was about glass fusing - and the rest is history! It has become my passion. I keep experimenting and learning new techniques in workshops, classes, from books, from the net, from artists. I'm taking jewelry classes in different media. Right now I'm learning metal clay technique. I want to combine fused glass with other interesting material -like silver, clay, stainless steel, concrete, wood etc...making real unique fusion jewelry pieces.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I enjoy the whole process starting with sketching in my notebook or taking pictures. Anything can inspire me anytime! And I spend a whole lot of time doing research on my computer. I am fortunate to be able to travel a lot - I'm fascinated about different cultures, the art in different countries, and the people with different dreams.


SpringLace - Hand Painted Fused Glass Necklace


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Hmmm....:) I'm not so good with this kind of question...I don't think any fruit or vegetable can describe me or my craft...Of course, I could came up with some contorted metaphor - but I prefer not to.
If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

Photography was my first love - and I think it will stay with me in my lifetime. I'm planning to open my Etsy shop for my photographs soon.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I don't consider myself as an "artist with message". I'm an artisan who does jewelry and home decor - and I want to make this to my best abilities. I want to make everyday people's everyday a little happier in an affordable way. I believe that small things - a cheerful necklace, a beautiful serving plate can make your day more pleasant. And if it is handmade you can be sure it was made with love, care, and thought.

Arte - handmade fused glass necklace

This necklace's pretty pendant made from many layers of glass, frit, confetti in great colors. It is fun, original, one of a kind and modern.



What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

I'm relatively new in the business, I only can speak from my own experience:


I know it’s a tough world, I know we all have to compromise in some sense to fit into demands of the economic reality. If you have to support your family by selling your art it is different.....but don't try to follow others just because they seem to have success. Find your own style - which is always changing, evolving - but stay true to yourself.

Don't let anyone or anything limit your imagination or take away your desire to experiment just to make a bigger profit. Of course if you have to make a living from jewelry business, then you are more limited in your choices. Jewelry making has to be fun after all.

I just do what and how I like to do. I set my standards and I do not make shortcuts. I definitely pay attention to other fused-glass jewelry artists, but I do not follow them. I have my own style. I do not compromise quality over quantity. Every piece I create is one of a kind. If you buy my necklace you can be assured that there is no other one like that. I try to preserve my originality and I never stop to come up with fresh ideas and improve my craft.

Finally, I would like to say ‘thank you’ to Donna who gave me and others this great opportunity to talk about our experience. I believe that we always can learn from each other and hand-made artists can form a real friendly community- which is not a small thing nowadays. I wish you all great success in your creative business. Happy crafting.

Judit, thanks for a really great interview.  It is always fun and interesting to learn a bit more about each artist and what motivates them.
 
To see and learn more about Judit and her wonderful creations, be sure to visit her shop GLASSIMO, and her other links listed below.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great interview, thanks Judit.

You are just as faboulous as your jewels.

Judit from France said...

I love your jewels! They make MY days brighter. And the interview is great! You are one of a kind, just like your art pieces!
Thanks!