Thursday, March 11, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - BATTY'S BATH

Apple Cinnamon Crisp - Sugar and Oatmeal Body Polish by Batty's' Bath

Did someone say APPLE CRISP?! This body polish was inspired by the love of my life who just can't get enough of my homemade apple crisp! I decided why not treat his skin to some handmade loving too? Trust me, food isn't the only way to a mans heart - handmade bath products that smell and feel like their favorite food is too! Made with my luxury whipped soap, this formula is made with two naturally exfoliating ingredients: oatmeal and sugar! This formula includes white sugar to polish and brown sugar for a deeper exfoliating experience. With the crisp scent of ripe apples and the sweet smell of sugar & cinnamon, combined with the skin loving properties of oatmeal, your skin (or your sweet pie's skin) will be left feeling totally pampered!

WOW, now that looks good enough to eat!!  I'm always so amazed at the different body/bath creations one can find in the various shops on Etsy!

Here we have Jamie, and her Etsy shop BATTY'S BATH, where we can see some of her delightful creations, and learn a bit more about how she got started in creating her "bath and body" delights!

What led you to start creating your art/craft

I participated in a number of craft shows with my other business, "She's Batty Designs". During a weekend long craft show I ran into Becky from BehindTheCellarDoor , and she had some of her handmade soaps and scrubs there. She had a table right near me so we, along with Kyra of GhostShip, got lots of opportunities to get to know each other and share our crafts. At the end of the weekend I came home with goodies from both girls along with handmade bath products from Becky. After that my shower time was never the same! I was hooked and quickly picked up the craft myself. I can't thank Becky enough for introducing to handmade bath products. I don't know how I got along without them before!


How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?


I wanted to try it all! I picked up soap first, then body butter, shampoo, conditioner, lip balm, and scrubs. Now I'm working on other things like bath bombs, bubble bars, and special formulas for my previous products.


What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?


I love that I can customize everything! My family, friends and of course myself, really benefit from getting EXACTLY what we want in bath products. Whether someone needs a milder soap, or a super moisturizing body butter, I can make it happen! It's such a good feeling being able to help people feel totally pampered and cared for... especially when I can turn a mundane task like showering, into something really special and uplifting.


If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I would pick a raspberry because it's sweet and satisfying. It also has just enough tartness to get the job done!


Strawberry Bitty Batty Shea Butter Soap

 
If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?


I do have another medium I work in - I'm also a paper artist. Actually, paper is the medium I worked with first with my "She's Batty Designs" business. I like working with two very different mediums because no matter what mood I'm in, I always have something crafty to do.

 What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

All-natural, green and ethical ingredients are very important to me. I really feel like we've entered an age where people are realizing that we need to put our money where our mouth is when it comes to the importance of making a better future for the planet and the inhabitants on it. People are starting to seek out products that fit with their values instead of mindlessly buying whatever is on sale. I'm definitely one of "those people". I've always been a bit of a "tree hugger" and I'm very concerned with human rights, prevention of cruelty to animals, peace, and humanitarian efforts. I choose to use local ingredients when ever possible so I can support our local economy. We all know that this is important and the recent recession has shown us why. I also use eco-friendly packaging and bio-degradable ingredients to lighten my foot print (and my products foot print) on the earth - "tread lightly" is one of my mottos.

I also use cruelty free ingredients and most of my products are vegan friendly. When I can't find ingredients locally (or when I'm skeptical about the sources of locally available ingredients) I source out ethically responsible Canadian suppliers who have "Fair Trade Compliant" ingredients. This means that profits go back to the community, that environmentally friendly production methods are used, and that forced labor is not used. I couldn't make my products any other way because it just wouldn't feel right and I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was part of the problem rather than the solution.

Cucumber Shea Butter Soap by Batty's Bath
What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love! Don't try to pick up a medium that you can't see yourself doing day-in-day-out if you're looking to do it as business. And secondly, if you are looking to craft as a business, treat it like a business from the start! I would also suggest picking up another medium (or two) just because. It's a great way to expand your horizons and stretch your creative muscle.

Jamie, thanks for a great and informative interview!  I applaud your beliefs, and your products are "yummy" looking! 
 
To see all the delightful products that Jamie creates and to learn more about her, be sure to visit her links below.

FACEBOOK

1 comment:

ElizabethMD Jewelry said...

A truely fab artisan and person! You will not go wrong with ANY of her products.