Tuesday, March 30, 2010

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - HEARTSABUSTIN

Desert Sun Bracelet - PMC charm
 by Erin of HEARTSABUSTIN

"The inspiration for this bracelet came from the sunshine charm I handcrafted from precious metal clay. Call it a reaction to all the cold weather and snow that's been blowing around. I wanted fiery reds and contrasting whites for a beautiful statement bracelet, and I'm pretty sure that's what I got!"



Let's welcome Erin and her Etsy shop, HEARTSABUSTIN. No matter how many jewelry artists I've "featured" on DZFANTASY, I always find it fascinating to see how each artist has their own unique styles and designs. The ideas are endless....which makes for a lot of fun in finding just the right piece of jewelry! 

We also see so many different names used for each artists' shop, so I thought it would be interesting to  read here, why Erin's shop is called "Heartsabustin"

"Heartsabustin is a wildflower that grows all over the eastern United States in moist forests. This little plant is rather unassuming in the spring, but in the fall, the seed pods burst open to display hundreds of little red heart shaped berries. The plant was a favorite of my great-grandmother's and inspired the name of my wonderful shop here at Etsy."



When you pay a visit to HEARTSABUSTIN, you will find a beautiful selection of jewelry....precious metal clay creations, necklaces, bracelets, earrings and more.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I decided I could make jewelry as pretty or prettier than the things I saw in the department stores. I was right - and it has lead to a wonderful realm of learning!

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

I started using glass beads, but I knew I wouldn't be happy until I was able to create some of my components myself. I started out with polymer clay, but that didn't quite fit the bill. I've been eyeballing precious metal clay for a while and finally took the plunge when I got money for Christmas from my parents. It was love at first sight!


PMC Flower Earrings - precious metal clay

"My favorite thing about PMC is its absolute versatility and the fact that no two pieces ever come out identical. These are flowers, cut from silver precious metal clay, stamped, and oxidized with liver of sulfur. A great deal of handwork goes into each and every PMC piece - but you are guaranteed that YOUR piece will always be one-of-a-kind."



What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

I love being inspired. Fabrics inspire me, color combinations I see out in the world are a great inspiration. Nature is also a wonderful place to find inspiration, especially since PMC lends itself so well to that "organic" look I like.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Oranges! Sweet and hot colored all at the same time.


Out of Africa - handcrafted bracelet

The centerpiece of this bracelet is a piece of African turquoise - a jasper that is dyed and used as a substitute for turquoise. Another substitute is magnesite, which is the beautiful bright blue stone hanging from the links. The other stones include white jasper, smoky quartz, pearls, Swarovski crystals, fluorite, and cloisonne beads. The wirework was handcrafted by me. This bracelet retains its feminine feel despite my eclectic use of materials.



If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I would like to get a better handle on working fiber into my pieces. I quilt and sew, as well, so it seems natural to want to include that aspect of my craftiness into my jewelry making. I just haven't completely figured it out, yet.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

That I love what I do and that each piece means something to me, as well as to the person who buys it.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Do what you love. I know we've all heard it before, but if this crazy thing we call Etsy and crafting isn't fun, it will show in your work. It must always be something that you love. If you don't love it anymore, find something else that sparks you!

Erin, thanks for a wonderful interview and for sharing your creativity with everyone!  Beautiful creations!

To learn more about Erin and her creations, be sure to visit the links below.


BLOG

TWITTER

1 comment:

Katie King said...

very cool feature :)