Thursday, May 21, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - JANEL'S SEWING AND STUFF


GREEN PAISLEY - 18 in X 18 in Square Pillow Cover
- Envelope Back for Easy Changing or Care

WELCOME, Janel and her Etsy shop, JANEL'S SEWING AND STUFF. I hope you enjoy reading Janel's interview below, as I did. When you pay a visit to Janel's shop, you will find a wide variety of her colorful, handsewn items....pillow covers (in several sizes), purse size tissue cozy's, tote bags and more.

Purse Size Tissue Cozy
(lots of colors to choose from)
What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Being that my Mom sewed, my grandma sewed - I was destined to sew also... I am not a real patient person, so sewing was more of a instant gratification type of hobby..... I started sewing when I was in 1st grade... My Mom sewed so she taught me, and then I did take sewing lessons from this lady that owned a sewing shop.... I remember making a one piece outfit - I see pictures of it now and can't believe that I actually made it, yet wore it in public.......

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Sewing fabric into something and being able to use it right away was perfect for me..... If I had to glue something, paint something or wait for somthing to cure or set, I would go nuts!!! I tried making candles once, but I was so impatient the candle wax was not cured yet, and I was trying to burn them..... Needless to say I don't make candles anymore..... Fabric is just something that I like to work with and being that it comes in lots of colors and textures, I don't get bored with it.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The final product.... Seeing that I just made something that I or anyone else can use in some way is so satisfing to me..... I don't make real complicated items, as I need to be able to finish a project in a short time frame to get that gratification that I finished a project.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Wow, you ask hard questions... I am a very picky eater, so I don't eat a lot of fruits or vegtables...... I guess I would have to say a Lemon - I love the color Yellow and it's bright and cheerful..... I love anything bright and cheerful!!! Now I don't think that my craft is sour in anyway so I would also have to say a very sweet Orange also... And because I also like the color Orange - (it's also bright and cheery!!)

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I LOVE photography.... I am a terrible person to take photos, but my office/studio walls are covered in ETSY photographers work..... I love pictures of animals (Cows, goats, squirrels, birds, etc) and I also love flowers (bright colors and Black and White).... I also love landscapes...... I have some really beautiful photos of the Grand Canyon and Red Rock Canyon.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I just want people to know that I have fun making the items that I do.... I hope that they have fun showing them off and using them..... Sewing is not hard, anyone can do it..... I find that other artist trades are much harder than sewing, but sewing can be used as a hobby or as a necessity of life.... Overall you have to enjoy what you do in life and if you are lucky enough to be able to craft for a living make sure that you are working with a craft that you love.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

Love what you do..... if you are not satisfied with the craft you are working on - just try to tweak it a bit - add some fabric - add some paint or glue - or just switch crafts all together..... Believe in what you make.... if you don't believe in what you make then other people are not going to believe in it either..... Promote what you make.... Whether you sell it or not.... Other people will love to see that you have a talent and make beautiful art.

Thank, Janel, for a delightful interview and for taking the time to share your thoughts and creativity with everyone!

To learn more about Janel and her work, be sure to visit her links below.




TWITTER

FLICKR

FLICKR PROFILE

No comments: