Monday, May 25, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - MAYA'S KALUPI

W r i s t l e t - Orange Burst
(click on the photo to learn more about this creation)
by
ARMEE
of MAYA'S KALUPI

WELCOME, Armee and her Etsy shop MAYA'S KALUPI! When you visit Armee's shop you will read how she arrived at the name of her shop. There are so many different shop names on Etsy and it is interesting to see how the owner's came up with their shop names.

Armee creates colorful wristlet purses (as shown in the photo above) wallets and more. The fabrics are delightful and full of color! Be sure to pay MAYA KALUPI a visit and see for yourself! First, let's read below and learn a bit more about Armee and her colorful creations.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

I was inspired by the beautiful fabrics that I'm seeing on Etsy, also by the different wristlets and pouches pattern that Keyka Lou are selling. Since I'm only at home taking care of my daughter and of course my husband, I decided to start sewing and sell beautiful wristlets and pouches on Etsy and that's when Maya's Kalupi was born.

How did you decide what medium you wanted to work with?

Ever since I was a little, I think I was 10 years old, my Mom had already taught me how to sew. Back then, my mother taught me how to sew baby shorts and shirts. Even though I have no idea or experience sewing wristlets and pouches, I told myself I might as well try since I know how to use a sewing machine, so I already have something to start with.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

The aspect of creating that I find most enjoyable is when choosing the fabrics that I will be using (the outside and the lining fabric). When pairing 2 different fabrics, I'll choose this for the outside fabric and this one for it's lining, then I'll think if it's going to look great when paired. After sewing and finishing one particular item the 2 different fabrics will always look good together as a finished item. I'm surprised that every 2 fabrics I choose are always a perfect fabric combination. I'm always happy with the finished item.

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

I think I will choose a ripe, orange papaya. Why papaya? I like the color orange and the rich, deep color of it. I guess it represents my rich, colorful products in my store.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

That would be paper. When I was still a little younger, I enjoyed creating something on paper. Before I used to make my own Christmas cards to put on a gift for my friends and I was interested before in origami, also in scrap booking. I'm not sure what happened to my interest in scrap booking, it just went away and I haven't started it yet. I guess my patience in creativity just flew away. Now, I want to do crafts that will only take me a few minutes to see the end result.

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I just want my art/craft to speak for itself. That if someone will see it, they will know by themselves that the one who makes those items really loves what she's doing. I believe that the art/craft that you are doing reflects who you are.

What advice do you have for other artist/crafter?

As a crafter, I would suggest that you also try to do other stuff. I've done that a few times already and it's a lot of fun. It always get me excited to try a certain craft for the first time. Right now, I'm interested on learning how to crochet. But for now, Maya's Kalupi is my priority. Thanks to all!

Armee, thanks for a delightful interview! Your work is colorful and fun, and I believe you get your message across that you love what you do!

To see more of Armee's creations and to learn more about her, be sure to visit the links below.

MAYA'S KALUPI BLOG

ME LOVE SUNSET
(Armee's 2nd Etsy shop - Jewelry supplies/findings)

No comments: