Sunday, May 17, 2009

FEATURED ETSY SHOP - TOMATO TEA

Blue Pom Pom Neckwarmer - Made to Order - 5 Colour Choices
by
Katrina of TOMATO TEA

WELCOME, Katrina and her Etsy shop TOMATO TEA. You might not be looking for something to keep you warm right now, but winter will be back before we know it, so be sure to pay TOMATO TEA a visit.

What led you to start creating your art/craft?

Back in 2005, I saw an amazing crocheted Katamari Damacy (http://amigurumi.deviantart.com/art/Katamari-Hat-quot-ultrablue-quot-Ebay-25595201) hat and that sparked off my initial interest in textiles, but mainly crochet. I loved making hats and scarves for friends and family but wanted to try knitting too. After a few attempts, I then caught the knitting bug in 2007 and haven't stopped either craft since. Just recently I've learned to sew, and so small sewing projects are appearing in my shops along side crocheted and hand knit items.

What aspect of creating your art/craft do you find the most enjoyable?

Its hard to choose really! I enjoy designing new items, trying out different yarns and stitches and then making up the prototypes in different colours. ButI love making current items to order, knowing that someone out there wants one of my pieces of work!

If you had to choose a fruit OR a vegetable, to describe your art/craft, what would you choose, and why?

Interesting question. I would say... a pineapple. Simply because I love texture and I try to feature this in my work.

If you had to choose one other medium in which to display your “creativity”, what would that be, and why?

I'd like to have a go at spinning one day, if that counts as a medium! I would love to dye, spin and hand knit my own yarn into a neckwarmer - I'm two thirds of the way there!

What message, if any, do you want to convey with your art/craft?

I suppose its the same for any artisan trying to make a business out of what they do, they want to convey the beauty of handmade. I put a lot of thought and love into my work and I hope that comes through to the buyer.

What advice do you have for other artists/crafters?

No matter how hard things get, just keep doing what you love. Your craft is what makes you, and there are people out there who will appreciate what you do. Make your items higher than your own standards and buyers will come back again and again.

THANKS, Katrina for sharing your thoughts and creatiivity with everyone! To learn more about Katrina, be sure to visit her links below.



BLOG

No comments: